1748022 Members
5448 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML370 G6 Randomly rebooting

Jdame13

ML370 G6 Randomly rebooting

Hello,

I have an ML370 G6 with a Xeon E5620 running SBS 2011 x64 that has been consistently rebooting at random times. I checked the logs and have found that it's a consistent stop error code: 0x07F (0x08, 0x080050033, 0x06F8, 0xFFFFFxxxxxx). I dug into it and found suggestions that it could be a bad processor or system board, so I replaced both and updated the bios but it still continues to reboot. 

Any wisdom or direction on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jdame

4 REPLIES 4
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Stop errors could also be caused by bad memory, a buggy driver, heat related issues causing problems, etc.

You could look at when these problems started and see what changes were made before that. Any new software installed (Microsoft hotfixes, updated drivers, etc)? Are there any indications in the event log that look strange just before it BSODs?

You could try using one of the bootable system test tools that stress the CPU and memory to see if any problems show up.

Also check the IML on the server to see if it's logging anything like memory errors, and while you're at it look at the system temps to see if any of the zones are running too hot.

If everything hardware-wise looks good, then it's time to start looking for possible software issues. I'd roll back any recently updated drivers since a bad driver is far more likely to BSOD than some other application (at least in my experience).

If nothing else seems to work, consider backing up your data and reinstalling from scratch. It's a lot of work but if it fixes the problem, you'll be better off in the end.
Jdame13

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure of when this problem started as it was happening before I took over responsibility of this machine, which also makes it hard to determine if an ugly driver is causing it. 

I've checked the event logs and nothing out of the ordinary is showing before it crashes, the IML is only showing the 0x07 error, nothing indicating a memory error, although that was another suggestion I found, but I haven't been able to test or replace the memory yet.

Something else I found was to check the microcode revision of the processor for an update as another possible cause. I looked through intel's documentation but I was only able to find a microcode update for Linux systems, nothing for Windows.

As far as I know all of the fans are working properly, but what is a good tempature monitor I could use to keep an eye on that? 

waaronb
Respected Contributor

The lights out page should show temperatures of the various zones, so that's a good place to check temps.

CPU microcode updates are handled with firmware updates to the server itself.  Check the HP download page for your model and see if there's a newer version.  It won't hurt to check everything else too like the array controller firmware, ILO, even the NIC firmware versions.

It's a good time to check for any new drivers and management software as well.  If the BSOD is caused by a buggy driver, getting the latest on there is a good plan.

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

Please check, if a dump file was generated and if yes, please attach it here.

thanks

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!