4976 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

ML370 G6 not starting after reboot

matpan
Occasional Visitor

ML370 G6 not starting after reboot

Hello friends,

I'm a teacher in a school. After delivery of ML370 G6 server (with installed Windows Server 2008 R2) i've ran it and left to work for more than year. It was just working without any specific role.

But today i've got new computers to my class room and i decided that i use ML370 G6 server as a domain controller. ANd then problems started. I've installed Active Directory role then ran dcpromo.exe. When install ends i got info about restarting Windows. What i did? Presset reboot now.

After this server is not turning on and continuosly reboots. Power button going green, health led is green, fans starts to spin very loud and nothing happens. After few seconds i hear some few click sounds from behind the server, power button goes amber and server reboots. Can't see anything on monitor (not even for one second).

Few time before server was restarted and there was no problem with starting. I never touched anything inside. Anyone have idea what is happening?

Regards,

Mateusz, Poland

4 REPLIES 4
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: ML370 G6 not starting after reboot

Hi Mateusz,

As there are no reported changes to the server hardware it is not possible to identify which component may be faulty. As the server does not complete POST and there is no display, you may attempt the following troubleshooting steps to help isolate the issue:

a. If iLO has been configured, then login to iLO, click IML logs at the left hand side and check for any hardware related error messages.

b. If none are found or if it is difficult to identify a defective part from the logs, well no worries, you may continue with these steps. Remove the power cable from the power source and the server. Remove the access panel. Reseat all internal components such as memory modules, expansion cards etc. Ensure all component are reseate firmly. At this stage do not reseat the processor. Except for it reseat all internal components.

c. Clear the server's NVRAM. To do so, the following steps may be performed:

• Power off the server and remove the power cable from the server and remove the access panel.
  • Locate the system maintenance switch (SW1)) on the system board using the server's Maintenance and Service guide, Component identification > System board components, item 19.
  • Set switch 6 to 'On' position, install the system cover and power on the server.
  • If the procedure is a success and is resolving the issue, then there should be display and the message during POST would indicate that a system maintenance switch has been turned on and that it needs tobe turned off. At this point, power off the server, remove the power cable from the server, remove the access and reverse the switch 6's position to the default one of 'Off'.
  • Replace the access panel and then power on the server and check if the issue is resolved

d. If the issue persists, then removing the power cable from the server and power source, remove all installed expansion cards, all memory modules except that installed in DIMM slot A3 for each installed server and power it on. If the server completes POST, then install one physical hardware component at a time and power on the server to isolate the defective component.

e. If the issue persists, then there could be an issue with either the system board or the processor, whenever the processor is reseated, the thermal paste has to be reapplied after cleaning the heatsink and the processor with appropriate alcohol swab.

Hope this gets you started in the correct direction!!!

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

matpan
Occasional Visitor

Hi Vijayasarathy and thanks for answering me.

I managed to connect to iLO and check the IML logs. This is what has been logged:

Caution | POST Message | 02/27/2014 10:06 | 02/27/2014 10:06 |1 |
POST Error: 1794-Slot X Drive Array - Array Accelerator Battery is charging. The Array Accelerator Cache will be enabled once the battery has been charged. No action is required.

Server was restarted many times before and anything bad was not happening.

But rebooting problem occured yesterday and there is no entry with date of 03/04/2015 in IML logs. So it looks like there is no registered problem in logs...

I will try steps that You provided and then ill see if server still reboots. Do i will need to do some configurations after i reset NVRAM? I never did it and hope i wont need to do that.

PS. Is it normal that when i turn on server and there is no ethernet cable inserted in NIC #1, front panel NIC light is turned on? When i put cable to other NIC #2/3/4 lights turns on. NIC #1 is always on even if cable is not inserted.

Regards,

Mateusz, Poland

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hi Mateusz,

The error message indicates that the cache battery is charging. After a period of 72 hours, run the Array Diagnostics Utiliity (ADU) report to verify if all storage components are working correctly.

If the NIC 1 LED is amber, then it indicates that there could be a possible issue. Check if there is network connectivity. In rare instances, there might be an issue with the Systems Insight Display. Reseat its cable connection and check if the issue is resolved. You may use refer to the service maintenance guide for assistance in reseating the Systems Insight Display cable on the system board.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

matpan
Occasional Visitor

Hi again :)

Problem is solved. I've contacted with HP support in Poland and after explaining what is happening they made decision to send me technician with new mainboard and new network card (server is still on warranty).

Technician came and checked everything. He replaced faulty parts - server works now like new :)

I would like to thank You for providing me such a great help!

Best regards,

Mateusz, Poland