1751688 Members
5322 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML370 HD Fault LEDs on after loading Proliant Support Pack

David Wales

ML370 HD Fault LEDs on after loading Proliant Support Pack

G'Day,

We have just taken delivery of a new ML370 G3. We have 2 others that have installed smoothly. I used the SmartStart CD to install those. I was unable to do that with this one because the RAID controller is an Adaptec 2120 rather than the HP 642. SmartStart refused to see the array so I was forced to manually install Windows Server 2003.

The Windows install went well but the fan noise was driving me crazy so I tried a manual install of the Proliant Support Pack off the SmartStart CD. My fans are now nice and quiet but for some reason the fault light on all 5 hot swap hard disks is on. It doesn't seem to affect the server's operation but obviously something is not quite right.

Another associated problem is that a number of the HP Insight services installed as part of the PSP refuse to start and the Event Log doesn't give too many clues as to why.

Does anybody have any clues as to what I can do to fix this? I figured out it was the PSP that caused it by doing a complete reinstall and the fault occured as I was installing the PSP. It looks like I am faced with another complete reinstall only this time without the PSP so I will have the fans running at full speed driving me crazy and I wont have the HP monitoring servies running. Not good!!!
5 REPLIES 5
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: ML370 HD Fault LEDs on after loading Proliant Support Pack

David,
My quess would be that the PSP installs some DLL blindly, probably in an assumption of the controller OR it not being able to resolve the controller. What will probably have to do is manually update each component one at a time and not use the PSP, since you do not have a "boxed" configuration. Installing the "HP ProLiant Advanced System Management Controller" will rid the fan noise by adding features to control it, but may be the problem with the non-factory controller. Who knows.
As for other Solutions, you could try and figure out what is different with the services and DLLs that are loading now. OR you could use the install from one of the other server, or simply borrow the 642 until you get the install and PSP completed, add the controller and it's drives, then backup or image, replace the controller and restore to the new array on the new controller.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
David Toh
Occasional Advisor

1. Try shutdown the server, remove all drives and re-plug in againn (make sure they are caged) then restart server

2. Download and run latest support pack( now should be supportpack 7 or later.

3. When you run the support pack "setup.exe", it will detect and install those for OS W2K3, then reboot the system.

4. I'm running on ML370G2, but i remember when configure with supportpack, the fan speed was automatically setup to 'normal' or the like which cut down the noise, and i remembered seeing this option from system configuration while booting up the server, check that, it must have.

Dav.
David Wales

I will have another bash at this when I return to work tomorrow (long weekend here in Australia this weekend).

There doesn't appear to be a way to uninstall the individual things installed by the PSP. Is there some way to do that? I also couldn't find an easy way to install them one by one. If I could do that I would be able to identify which one is causing the problem and hopefully just leave it out. The PSP setup program doesn't give you any choices at all, it just goes and detects the OS and installs whatever it thinks it should. Is there some way to take a little more control myself?
David Wales

I've actually opted to purchase the 642 RAID controller to replace the Adaptec one. The supplier has agreed to swap them over for me. I'm sure all will be well after the swap.
David Toh
Occasional Advisor

Good luck for the swap.