1748108 Members
5129 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML370 cannot Boot from Floppy Drive

Dave Sepa
Occasional Contributor

ML370 cannot Boot from Floppy Drive

We recently purchased an ML370, and in order to complete the setup of the server, I need to boot to a floppy disk to make a backup image of the server. However when I place the floppy drive in the system, and boot the server, it seems to pass over the floppy drive. I have checked the Rom Based Utilities and found that the boot order is CD-ROM, Floppy, HardDisk (see controller boot), NIC. Also in the Rom Based Utilities I made sure that Floppy Boot was Enabled. I was wondering if there is another setting that I am missing that allows me to boot to a floppy disk. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
2 REPLIES 2
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Re: ML370 cannot Boot from Floppy Drive

Hi Dave;

Check to make sure that floppy boot hasn't been disabled using the maintenance switch on the server. You will find the location of this switch on the inside cover of the server.

Have you tried another bootable floppy?

Failing all else, replace the floppy drive under the server warranty.

Cheers,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Dave Sepa
Occasional Contributor

Re: ML370 cannot Boot from Floppy Drive

I checked the switch located on the motherboard and it was not set to disable floppy access. In the end I swapped out the floppy drive with another floppy drive, and found that I was able to boot off the other floppy drive. The strange part of this was that, within Windows using the original floppy drive it seem to function properly (i.e. copying to and from the diskette).

Thanks,
Dave