1752750 Members
5195 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML370 changes IRQ's automatically

Stefan Vorraber

ML370 changes IRQ's automatically

Hello,
we changed the IRQ settings in the BIOS of our ML370 Servers manually.
There is running NetWare 6.5 on this machines.
We set IRQ11 to the FC-Controllers, IRQ10 to the NIC's and IRQ15 to the RAID-Controller.

After performing a restart, the IRQ-Settings changed abnormal. For example one FC has IRQ7 after reboot.
I set the it back to the specified settings, and after the next reboot Raid-Controller is on IRQ4 or something.

Is there a way to prevent this automatic changing of IRQ's?

BIOS and FW are all up to date.

Thanks for your help,
Stefan
7 REPLIES 7
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

Hi Stefan:

Since All new machines with ML370G1 to G4, have IRQ Sharing; dosenot matter what IRQ you set.

Level triggered devices on most new PCI and EISA. (or IRQ sharing)

The IRQ's are are priority as follows: 0, 1, 2/9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.

Edge triggered can do it only if the driver supports it. (locked IRQ)

These Servers Have IRQ sharing. I am not sure if this is G1 or G2-G4.

I have tried this with G1 servers and when locked the IRQ. it did not work for me.

You can free more IRQ's if you disable the com, LPT ports etc.

Normally Simillar devices share IRQ's you don't want however to share irqs accross different devices (devices with same drivers okay)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EN000322_CW01

Are you getting any errors at post or under netware

Tarek.

Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.
Stefan Vorraber

Hello Tarek,

thanks for your answer.

Our machines are all G3-Servers.
There are no errors, not on POST and also not under Netware.

In this machines we have 3xQLogic FC Controller, 2xHP Gigabit NIC, and the RAID-Controller.
We wanted the same devices to use one IRQ. It's not really profitable when one FC-Controller is on IRQ 7 when the other two uses IRQ 11.

I was also surprised about the following behavior: We disabled the on Board SCSI-Controllers, and after reboot one or both were enabled. This happened simultaneous to the changing of the IRQ'S.

I dont's think this behavior is normal. Are there any known issues with the BIOS-Version 4.11 ?
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I'd recommend turning switch #2 (lock configuration) to on position in the system maintenance switch bank and verify whether the IRQs change afterward.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

Hi Stefan:

Since these are G3 servers you only have level-triggered IRQ sharing.

This could be the issue; however since in the bios the IRQ are changing and not staying the way you set them. That is a Bios or Firmware issue. But not sure if the PCI card is also picking these IRQs and since we have IRQ Sharing; you no longer can Lock the IRQ's.

Look at bottom link; explains the Driver aspect of the IRQ Sharing.

http://docsrv.sco.com/HDK_basics/test_common_probs.html

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10024783.htm

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/4962.htm

- This could be fixed by the driver for that device (FC HBA controller).

- I was not able to lock the IRQ in the Bios on these servers; So not sure if this is a Firmware issue; it is possible.

You can try what terry recommened; that might work for you. This has to be looked at further and researched.

Best of luck

Tarek.
Stefan Vorraber

Hi,

we tested the #2 Switch - lock configuration.

After that the BIOS saved the setting, we were also not able to change settings. After power off the machine we've lost the settings again.

A driver problem is impossible, cause a that time no driver is loaded.

We tested it with other ProLiant machines, there it works. Only on our new ML370 we have this problem. Really annoying is the fact that the onboard SCSI-Controllers are enabled automatically.

We've opened a HP-Call, the technician also can't help us. Meanwhile the call is escalated.

I will post the solution here. (If there is one)

Thanks a lot for you help.
Stefan
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

Hi Stefan:

Good Plane, I hope that it is resolved for you.

Tarek.
Vorraber

Hi,
to solve the problem, you have to confirm the setting of EVERY IRQ (not only of them you want to change), even if you don't want to change it.
If you do so the Server keeps the IRQ-Settings after reboot.