ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753813 Members
8239 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML370 hot swap fan problem

chad henderson

ML370 hot swap fan problem

I have a ML370 that has 3 of the 6 fans with an amber light. The internal Health LED is RED. if I pull any combination of fans 3 still remain green. if I swap fans around the first fan installed stays green and the others go amber. HELP!!!!
8 REPLIES 8
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: ML370 hot swap fan problem

This is likely a system board problem. This is an issue in this machine which will cause this. This issue is actually resolved by having the latest firmware installed on the server, but once you start getting the error it's too late.

I would contact HP support for a replacement system board.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
chad henderson

what firmware download would have prevented this?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Chad,

If you are not able to boot the server because of the fans (which usually is the case--as server stops right away the temprature rises when the fans failed to work)the only option you have is to replace the systemboard. However, if you are able to boot server to a certain extent that allows you to flash the BIOS you can try that.

Look the spare part# on the systemboard to order or if you post the processor speed and the generation of the server we can help you to find out the part#

Regards
Amha Kassa
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

The firmware which would have prevented this is dated 08/05/2004. The only HP will support for this server, though, is the latest:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/21978.html
chad henderson

I did the updates to no prevail. I guess the only thing now is get a new board.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Updating the fw on a server which is already exhibiting this problem will not resolve it. I would definitely recommend updating the fw on any other ML370 G3s you have before the same problem happens on those.
chad henderson

Thanks for all the help.