1751718 Members
5653 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML370 won't restart or shutdown

Renne Cavanaugh_1
Occasional Contributor

ML370 won't restart or shutdown

I'm running this unit with one 933Mhz (I removed a 2nd processor just to see if it made a difference ) processor and 512K of RAM. I'm using Smartstart 5.5, but I have used 5.2 also on this machine during this install. I installed Smartstart, configured the hardware; the array is RAID 1. I installed Windows 2000, checking the box on Smartstart for Windows 2000 Server, since if I don't the Windows installation will hang. I then installed Windows 2000 and I have no problem until I install the Advanced System Management utility to turn down the fan to low and then I can't restart or shutdown the machine - I have to pull the plug.

I have almost the identical machine except it's a different processor and the Advanced System Management didn't cause any problem. I'm just stumped and about ready to bite at this point.

Anybody have any answers? Thanks.

Renne
4 REPLIES 4
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Renne,
Just a long shot, did you update the system bios and the rest of the support pack?? Here is the link in case you need it.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1119.html

Regards,
Renne Cavanaugh_1
Occasional Contributor

Sunil, I think maybe that was the problem. I had already flashed the bios, but I was using an older version of the Advanced Management System. I just downloaded a newer version and lo and behold, the system re-started and shut down with no problems. Sometimes just posing the question jump starts your thought process... So far so good. Thanks.

Renne
Renne Cavanaugh_1
Occasional Contributor

Well, I spoke too soon. I was going along just happy as a clam, installing software right and left and then I had to meet my husband for dinner so I tried to shut down and no dice. It just froze and sat there.

What a drag - and I was so happy! Any more suggestions?

Regards,

Renne
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Renne,
Well you were concerned about your dinner but did not feed the server properly that's why it froze....:). Anyways I have seen in the past that sometimes Video driver also played some role in as well. So please update the Video drivers as well and here is the link in case you need it.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17769.html

Regards,