ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748089 Members
4988 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

ML370G3 UnixWare 7.1.4 Panic on boot

DavidNash

ML370G3 UnixWare 7.1.4 Panic on boot

I get random panics when booting the above server. I have a SmartArray 642 RAID card, with a RAID 5 logical drive. I also have an external DLT VS80 drive connected to the on-board SCSI port. The server worked fine when it was running UnixWare 7.1.3 but since doing an upgrade-in-place, when I reboot it's a bit hit and miss as to whether or not it will panic. Sometimes it boots fine, other times it may take up to three attempts.

I've updated the server to the latest firmware using the firmware maintenance 'CD' that I downloaded.

I think it's related to the adst70 or ciss drivers. Looking in the UnixWare packages, I'm running:

adst70 7.1.3b
ciss 7.62a

Are there any known issues with these, and if so, where can I find updated versions? My UnixWare installation is on Maintenance Pack 2. I think that when I updated there were references to adst70, but I can't find any reference to them now, and I must confess that I can't remember if I updated the driver or of I retained the existing one!

Even when running UnixWare 7.1.3, I saw the tape interface causing panics if anything untoward happened to the tape drive. For example, if a tape wasn't in the drive when the overnight BackupEdge backup kicked in, the server would panic.

David