1748156 Members
3997 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML370G5 will not boot with USB dongle attached

sdrake48
Regular Advisor

ML370G5 will not boot with USB dongle attached

USB Dongle from Codemeter used for software licensing. Regardless or where this is attached (internal, external) and regardless of boot order setting in RBSU, SLES10 SP2 will not boot if the dongle is attached - UNLESS Legacy USB is disabled in RBSU.
Unfortunately, this means the USB DAT160 drive cannot be used as I am unable to discover the USB DAT160 drive with Legacy USB disabled, and also unable to perform an OBDR boot with Legacy USB disabled. Any idea how to keep USB enabled, AND boot SLES10 with a codemeter dongle attached?
6 REPLIES 6
workinonit

Re: ML370G5 will not boot with USB dongle attached

Did you ever get a response to this. I am having the same issue with a DL380G5 and the codemeter.
sdrake48
Regular Advisor

No, haven't heard yet. But...I have heard that this is not a problem with IBM or Fujitsu Siemens servers.
workinonit

I have had other issues with workstations that are using ASUS MB's. It will boot but when I try to reghost a pc it will hang booting into the ghost boot partition. I just tell people to remove the dongle before reghosting for right now. The DL380's are a different story, they are off site and therefore cannot remove dongle. The workstations will reboot fine with dongle it just seem the DOS drivers for ghost have issues with the codemeter also.

For now I can get away with disabling legacy USB but if I have an issue and try to iLO in it is a problem.
sdrake48
Regular Advisor

This was not a problem until the System Bios was updated in the middle of 2008 (Fw CD 8.2 I believe). Older BIOS works fine - 9/29/2008 BIOS definitely fails.
HP - is there a plan to fix this?
grigom

Steve,
if you're Codemeter stick's serial beginns with 2- you can upgrade the firmware on the stick to 1.16 Remember: this is only a workaround from Codemeter. The main Bug is in the HP Bios. Perhaps HP will fix the problem anytime...
sdrake48
Regular Advisor

HP supplied a test bios (in early May)for DL380 G5 that solved the problem. This fix did not make it into the May 18, 2009 Bios Update. Waiting for the next release. Our Codemeter Dongle serial numbers all start with "1" and I have updated firmware but this did not help.