7705 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML530, Dual800 Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lyncoln GIll

ML530, Dual800 Question

I recently managed to aquire a ML530, Dual Xeon 800 server w/ Smart Array 3200 SCSI controller and 5 - 9.1 10k drives. I did not get any manuals etc w/ it and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to get these and or help in setting up/configuring this server.

I have never used a "full blown" server before, but the price was right and it will do a lot better than my previous Tualatin server. I have zero experience in setting up this sort of configuration/server.

ANy help would be much appreciated as I don't seem to be finding anything so far - BIOS setup, Array setup etc.
5 REPLIES 5
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ML530, Dual800 Question

Lyncoln GIll

thans for the quick response. Hopefully my local HP/Compaq agent willl be able to supply me with the CD's so as to expedite the servers inception into my LAN.
Lyncoln GIll

I was wondering, with the Smart Start 5.5 Setup can I install Server 2003? It was my planned OS but when I got into the setup it doesn't offer the option. DO I have to install server 2000 and then upgrade or is there a patch for Smart Start and/or can I use a newer version of Smart Start w/ suport for server 2003?

thanks in advance for any help
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

you cannot install 2003 server using smart start 5.50 as assisted install,

- but you can using the smart start 5.50 using manual install and selecting other for the o/s ; it is like installing windows 2003 as manual install.

cannot use newer smart start cds; for initial install; but once the o/s is up and running you can autorun from the cdrom.

Tarek.
Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.
Lyncoln GIll

Thanks again for the quick reply.

I have another problem now (not having any documentation really is a pain, especially when it's your first time at it) I am getting a "05 301-keyboard error" now and I don't know y. The BIOS is ver 19 06/02/2000. I have tried the F9 key to get into the setup but it isn't working - at what point during boot up should I be pressing it to gain access to the setu? I ran the smart start setup and configured it for win 2000 since I didn't see the 2003 option and now it says " no system disk" when I hit F1 to contniue. I've booted to a bootable floppy but I don't get any other drives as being available -even the CD-ROM. HOw can I re-run the smart start again so I can choose the "other OS" option and installl server 2003? It will not load now I have confiured the array.

thanks again
Lyncoln