5013 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML530 G1 with a Compaq DLT 20/40 backup drive

Adam Raff
Occasional Advisor

ML530 G1 with a Compaq DLT 20/40 backup drive

Good day,

We are running on a Windows 2003 with a DLT 20/40 backup device. Today something strange happened. I was not able to eject the tape by pushing the button. When I checked the backup it said that it failed because of an I/O error. I tried restating the server and then ejecting still no luck. I then shut the server down and waited a 20 count figuring that if I turn off the power perhaps it will reset. When the power came back up all the lights started to flash. It would flash for about 3seconds that stop then do it again. I am still not able to eject the tape (pull up the lever). Does anybody have any ideas what the lights mean or how to trouble shoot this problem. I assume the drive has gone south but would like to make sure.

Thanks
Adam Raff
2 REPLIES 2
Steffen Noll

Re: ML530 G1 with a Compaq DLT 20/40 backup drive

Hi Adam,
we ran very often in the same problems. With DLT 15/30, 20/40 and 35/70. Maybe, the problem in your case could be a damaged tape. The tapes have a noose where the drive catches it with a hook. If this noose isn't presend, because of a tape split, then the hook catches only a lot of air and the spring system pull it in the back area of the drive => now the drive is also damaged. You have to open the DLT, remove the tape manualy and pull the loop with the hook back to its start position.
This procedure is very expensive by HP but only 5 minutes work by yourself.
Adam Raff
Occasional Advisor

Re: ML530 G1 with a Compaq DLT 20/40 backup drive

Hi Steffen,

Thanks for your reply. You wouldn't have anything writen down or some web site that I can go to that will explain how to do this so I have a better idea if this is fixable or not. We were having other issues with the device such as the system not seeing the tape in the drive at times. So I don't mind looking around but I would prefer a map I guess. Just to see if it can be fixed or it's just on its way out or gone.

Thanks
Adam Raff