5248 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

ML530 G2 POST FAILURE

Seismic
Occasional Advisor

ML530 G2 POST FAILURE

Hello All

Bought an old 530 with no drives to play with at home.

Spec: 2 x 3.0Ghz, 2 GB Ram, floppy, CD and an unplugged Tape.

Was working with no drives, booted & ran Fedora15 Live, Smart Start off the CD no problem many times.

The drives came so installed them only to find out that the scsi cables had been routed to a card that was no longer in the machine. So I pulled the systems tray out and confirmed the cables were connected to the cage and then reinstalled them onto the internal scsi controller on the system board. It was around this time that I tripped over the keyboard cable, yanking the keyboard to the carpeted floor. When I booted SmartStart again all went well except the keyboard was dead. So I reseated the keyboard plug and fired her up again. Now it doesn't complete the POST regardless of the keyboard (plugged in or out). The POST gets stuck at various points. Usually right at the beginning. The memory caddy's memory status led if flashing green along with the NIC Led. The system doesn't indicate any failure it just freezes at various parts of the POST / BOOT. Some times it goes as far as to start checking the scsi devices then just stops with no error and all leds green. I've tried removing all the drives, no change. It seems like the longer I wait before trying to boot, (remove power, unplug),  the farther it get along in the process. Which seems like some capacitor is charging and shorting a signal or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

nhbilly
Frequent Advisor

Re: ML530 G2 POST FAILURE

Just wait a little longer for the drives to initiate or unplug the drives.
Seismic
Occasional Advisor

Re: ML530 G2 POST FAILURE

Thanks nhbilly,

But the machine no longer complete the POST regardless of how long I wait.

I started a new thread about the status lights. 

This should shed a little more light of the progress so far:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/ML530-G2-STATUS-LIGHT/td-p/5344451