New Discussion юеВ

ML530 G2 and SDLT 160/320

SOLVED
Go to solution
Terry Graham
Occasional Contributor

ML530 G2 and SDLT 160/320

Hi

I'm speccing a system for a customer based on an ML530 with about 300GB of disk space. I'd planned to use a SDLT 160/320 for backup, but according to the techspecs the internal version isn't compatible with the ML 530, only the SDLT 110/220.

I can't see any difference in the two drives, so can some-one enlighten me why the 110/220 is supported, but the 160/320 isn't?

TIA

Some people never go crazy. what truly terrible lives they must lead.
7 REPLIES 7
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: ML530 G2 and SDLT 160/320

Hi

Both SDLT units ARE supported for the ML530.
Maybe it is advisable to check the diskperformance before choosing a backupsolution. Is the used OS in combination with the used backup software capable of providing the tapedrive with enough data to keep it in streaming mode. This is important, especially for sdlt drives, to protect the customer from having problems with tapes and drives in the future. If the customer uses Windows you could test the disk performance with a tool like PAT.
Is LTO an option? LTO is better suited to handle with slower disk performance because it can switch down the speed of the tapedrive while still being able to stream.
Also if you implement a SDLT drive in the ML530 check the advisory EX030404_CW01. In certain environments where the ambient exceeds certain levels, you need to install an extra fan. (see the advisory)

Leon
Matthias Zahn
Advisor

Thx for this info (we had currently the same problem). But LTO ist not an option for us , because we need reading compat. for older DLT-Tapes. I think our internal drives 18,6 Gb and 36 GB 15k drives on a 5312 Controller are fast enough ?

Matthias
Terry Graham
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Leon

I couldn't see any reason why it wasn't compatible, but the specs on the 160/320 state that the ML530 G2 will not support the drive.

The server is a 530 G2 2.8GHz with U320 disks and a 6402 smart array, running win2K and arcserve 9, so performance shouldn't be an issue.

LTO is not an option, partly because of backward compatibility and partly because of the additional support costs.
Some people never go crazy. what truly terrible lives they must lead.
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

In both cases the hardware specs look ok. But always keep in mind that once you have to backup lots of small files, it might dramatically pull down performance.
Arcserve 9.0 is ok for this solution, but for libraries i wouldn't recommend it.

Leon
Ken Wong_5

Have anyone encountered this before? When the ML530G2 with SDLT 160/320 connected to the UPS, and whenever the ML530G2 is running on battery, the SDLT drive will automatically reject the tape?
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Terry:

One of the major concerns for adding the SDLT drives to the specs is that they generate a great deal of heat. They need a fan assembly installed behind them to keep the drive cool. This is difficult to advise in a quickspec document.

Here is the PDF explaining the installation of the fan assembly:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/techdoc/sdlt/345999-002.pdf

Here is the Spare Part Number for the Fan Kit: 253762-001
If you have a vendor who can order this with the Option Part Number, then it will be cheaper: 344257-B21

G'luck! -john
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Mihai Lupu_3
Advisor

Hello,
in fact I own such a system; basically the issue is based on SDLT heating capability (if the temperature grow your SDLT may hang and you have to restart the server to be able to use it again. I have 16 Celsius degree in servers room, but I purchase also the recommended cooler from Compaq for this kind of server.

Mihai