ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752495 Members
5383 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML530: Identify expansion cards

Armando Bronca

ML530: Identify expansion cards

I have come across one server that has a PCI expansion card with VGA port + Network port.
Both ports are unconnected and I don't know what kind of card this maybe since it does not appear to match the RIB/RILOE/... list of "remote management" cards.

Anyone can help me in identify what (if any) special purpose this card may have?

The VGA port displays the desktop when connected and Windows detects one unplugged network port but I imagine this being an expansion card would provide more than "vanilla" VGA/net functionality :-?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

What is the Device Instance ID of the unplugged network port shown in Device Manager -> -> Properties -> Device Instance ID?

Which generation of ML530 is it?
Armando Bronca

Kedd,

In the properties page I don't have a device instance id.
I do have the device location (PCI bus 0, device 4, function 0) and the identified model (COMPAQ NC3163)
FWIW the server is running W2000 Advanced Server
The display adapter is identified as ATI RAGE XL PCI.

I'd say that it's the original ML530, at least it's not G2.

Thanks.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

I'm sorry, but I left out a step in Device Manager. It should be Device Manager -> -> Properties -> Details -> Device Instance ID, but unfortunately the Details tab isn't available in Windows 2000 Server--only Windows Server 2003 and above.

The NC3163 is a common 10/100 NIC so I'm at a loss on that aspect.

In Device Manager do you see a section titled Multifunction Adapters? If so, that is actually indicative of a RIB/RILOE card.

SIW may give some clues on what the mystery device actually is:
http://www.gtopala.com/

Daniel Arrieta
Frequent Advisor

if its a card you might wanna copy some numbers from the card so that we can identify part number or models out of it.
The NC3163 is an embedded NIC for ML350 G2, so i dont see how that can be part of a PCI card.
Armando Bronca

Thanks for the input.

The server is running so I don't have an easy access to open it and check the card model/number, I don't see in Device Manager any multifunction or similar hardware.

It just looks like it's a standard VGA port and a standard Fast Ethernet NIC that for some reason are in one PCI board together instead of a motheboard built-in.

I imagine that any sane RIB/RILOE card would have show any telltale sign during booting or in Device Manager/etc.