HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML530 Proliant ? disk capacity

James Reilly_2
Occasional Visitor

ML530 Proliant ? disk capacity

We have a Proliant ML530. with 4 off 18.gb hdds.
I think the box has Raid 5 - but how would we tell?
What is the maximum size of drives, we can fit.
If we fit say 4 of 72 gbs - what is the total storage we will get - is it 3 x the size of the drive (leaving 1 for partity?)
Any recomendation of the amount of Ram , if WS2000 server is the operating System.

All/Any comments gratefully received.

Thanks
2 REPLIES
Jeff Mathews
Respected Contributor

Re: ML530 Proliant ? disk capacity

You should be able to run the HP Raid Configuration Utility from within Windows to find out what your current raid configuration is. If it is RAID 5, you are correct with your space calculation - one disk is used for parity. If you don't have the raid configuration utility installed, and you can reboot the server, you should see a prompt "F8 to enter Raid Configuration Utility" at boot up. This will take you into a DOS based app that will allow you to view the current config, or setup a new one.

As for the RAM question it really depends on what service this ML530 will be performing. Some applications definitely like to use more RAM then others. I would say a minimum of 512 MB is a good starting point, but most of my servers get 4 gig.
James Reilly_2
Occasional Visitor

Re: ML530 Proliant ? disk capacity

Thanks very much for the quick answer