1754020 Members
6965 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML530 Second Processor

Ian Jones_3
Occasional Contributor

ML530 Second Processor

I want to install a second processor in our Compaq ML530 Server. The processor involved is a Compaq Xeon 800Mhz Pentium III 256K cache. It has the following info on the label on the side: 800/133/256 S2 5/12V. This matches the information on the existing processor.

I tried to install the processor but when I booted the system it reported it as an unsupported processor and the system halted. I then removed the processor and the system booted ok.

I'm sure that there must be more to installation of a second processor than simply plugging it in but I thought I'd give it a try.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ian Jones
6 REPLIES 6
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

if you are running windows, you have to exchange the version of hal you are running. When you install windows, there is a difference, whether you install it on a single cpu or a multi cpu system. The answer to this can be found by searching the forum.

greetings,

Michael
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hello Ian,

The "unsupported processor" error you are seeing is due to the BIOS which needs to be updated to support a newer CPU (Newer Stepping Level that is). Although the processors may be identical, the new one will have a higher stepping level (Intel term for assembly version I think). Newer BIOS will support your new CPU's stepping level and allows mixed stepping levels in multiple CPU configurations although the lowest must exist as the primary CPU (CPU1) for boot purposes.

Please download and apply the following BIOS update for your ML530G1 server.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17426.html

This allows you to build a bootable floppy which updates the BIOS (Instructions on this link).

I hope this helps,

Brian

Ian Jones_3
Occasional Contributor

Brian

Thanks for your advice. Will I still need to change the HAL as per the response from Michael Schulte.

Regard's
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Ian,

The answer is Yes. You will currently have a Uniprocessor HAL (Support for 1 CPU) so you need to update to a Multiprocessor HAL for the operating system to see and use it properly.

Here is a tip from Microsoft on how to achieve this quickly from the Device Manager.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techenthusiast/tricks/administration/uniprocessor.asp

Regards,

Brian
Ian Jones_3
Occasional Contributor

Brian

Unfortunately we're still using NT4 o/s so I cannot use this shortcut. however it does tell me to use uptomp so that's a help. I think I have to have the latest servise pack as well according to other info I've found on the forum.

Thanks once again.

Regards,

Ian Jones
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Ian,

Please e-mail me brian.murdoch@hp.com and I will send you a copy of a document I wrote a while ago for engineers using the uptomp procedure. There are things you should be aware of before using it.

Regards,

Brian