ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752643 Members
5798 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML530 hangs on boot at SCSI controller detection

Robert McCaffrey

ML530 hangs on boot at SCSI controller detection

We have an ML530 server with a 5300 controller card. This detects everything fine, and if I go into the F8 configuration, the logical drive shows up correctly. After this, the onboard SCSI ports are detected, which is where my backup tape drive is located. The drive is found, but then the system hangs and the cursor sits there blinking. I don't see any error lights on the motherboard. I would try to boot to the SmartStart CD, but the CD drive does not work unfortunately. This is the only server of this kind we have... what comes after the onboard SCSI detection? Is there any way I can disable the onboard ports? I really need to get past this screen and just have the server booted up into Windows (2000). Any help is appreciated. thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: ML530 hangs on boot at SCSI controller detection

Hello Robert,
Welcome to HP Forums.

1) Disconnect the Tape Drive & check if it boots fine.
2) Update the BIOS firmware
3) Update the Controller Firmware.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Robert McCaffrey

Thanks for the reply James.

Unfortunately, my floppy and CD drives are both not working. Is there a jumper or switch on the motherboard to disable the onboard SCSI?

I'm not sure what caused. Basically, I rebooted the server, and it just stopped working.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Robert, You may try using the SW1 - s6 Switch on the system board. Its used to clear the NVRAM. Please refer system maintenance guide for your server.

I sincerely hope you have a valid data backup;

Regards,
Robert McCaffrey

Thank you for the suggestions.

I was finally able to get my hands back behind the CD drive and replace it. Amazingly, this solved the boot problem. Thanks again.