108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML570 G1 Processor upgrade nightmare - need help

SOLVED
Go to solution
gsx82

ML570 G1 Processor upgrade nightmare - need help

Hello,

I purchased a Proliant ML570 G1 server on ebay. It came with 2 700MHZ Xeon CPU's installed with no terminator cards in the empty slots, and it would not boot. So I went back on ebay and ordered a set of 4 Xeon 900/100/2mb CPU's and installed them in the server. It now boots up and detects the cpu's but after the memory test completes it halts the system with the floowing error:
Unsupported Processor Detected
System Haulted

Is it possible that I need proliant specific cpu's or do I need a new ROM?

Any advice on this matter would be very helpful to me at this point.

Thanks
Dave

9 REPLIES 9
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

try updating the BIOS, Systems ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade for HP ProLiant ML570 G4 (P60) Serve

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27215.html

or using the Firmware CD
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27783.html

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
gsx82

No, the firmware I need is for the first generation Proliant ML570 @ the following link:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17420.html

I don't think that this update adds support for new processors. But even if it did I can't flash the bios anyway because the system will not boot from CD/Floppy due to the fact that it will not get past the POST without halting the system with the "Unsupported CPU Detected" error.

Thanks for you input
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

It is always recommended to use the option parts specified for the ProLiant server. When you use a different processor, it may work, but then there is no guarantee that IT WILL.

If you are able to access the RBSU, try setting Multi-processor support (MPS) table under Advanced option. Honestly, I doubt whether it will work. If this doesn't work, your best bet would be to install HP option part CPUs.

Your options would be:
1. 222627-B21 - Pentium III Xeon X900-2MB Processor Option Kit
2. 174449-B21 - Pentium III Xeon X700-2MB Processor Option Kit
3. 174448-B21 - Pentium III Xeon X700-1MB Processor Option Kit
gsx82

thanks adric, I went on ebay and picked up 2 terminator boards. When I recieive them I will power the system with the old 2 700/100/1MB CPU's and see if I can flash to the new firmeware and then try the 900's again.

I am new to the fourms, whats this points thing?

thanks
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

gsx82 sorry I linked another System ROM Firmware

yes try with the terminator, update the System and tell us the result with the others processors

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Oh, first I should welcome you to the forums. The ITRC forums are meant to discuss & help peers with technical issues.

This is how the point system works:

o N/A: The answer was simply a point of clarification to my original question

o 1-3: The answer didn't really help answer my question, but thanks for your assistance!

o 4- 7: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need some additional help!

o 8-10: The answer has solved my problem completely! Now I'm a happy camper!

The points system as per the FAQ is designed to encourage participation. You can check this link for all info about points:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Simply put, the point system is used to indicate how useful a reply / answer was for your situation.
gsx82

I solved my problem by setting the dip swithces to disaster recovery mode and booting blindly from a 3.5" boot floppy and flashing the bios. It now POST's without any errors and I am up and running.

thanks everyone for the help.
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

That's great! Thanks for the update. :)