1753481 Members
4064 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML570 G2 Parity Errors

Garry Marsoubian
Occasional Advisor

ML570 G2 Parity Errors

have sporatic system crashes on an ML570 G2. This system runs SQL 2000 Enterprise. The PAE switch is enabled in the boot ini due to 32GB of memory. Server 2003 Ent is the OS.

We have tried various memory configurations, but continue to get a crsh.

The excat errors is: Hardware Malfunction
Parity Check/Memory parity Error
The system has haulted.

At this point I am thinking this is not a physical memory issue. The parity error is vague and I am hoping someone out there has run across this or a similar issue.

Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Garry,
It could be the Array controller you have in the system. Try updating the system bios as well as the firmware of array controller. If that does not cure it then look into the PCI devices you have in the system. Here is the link in case you need it:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/69_3990.html

Regards,
Garry Marsoubian
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Sunil. This will be my next step. I will update when done. Unfortunately, there is no predictable time frame for the crashes, so it may be a few days.

trog
Occasional Contributor

I am having the same issue, did the sugested
fix from Sunil remedy the issue.

please advise

Trevor
Garry Marsoubian
Occasional Advisor

Sunil, thanks for the reply. I uopdated everything, ran diags and found a bad DIMM. Removed it and used what I know is a good DIMM. Still getting the errors. The only additional ite,ms I have installed on this system is the 5304 RAID controller so PCI devices I've not installed.

This system is running SQL 2000 Enterprise (SP3). Haver you seen anything with SQL that may be causing this. Total memory is 32GB.

BTW: The system crashed again thjis AM at 4:30.

Please let me know if you have any additional thoughts. Thanks

Garry Marsoubian
Occasional Advisor

Trevor, it did not help. Are you running SQL on this system?

trog
Occasional Contributor

Yes, Win2k advanced, SQL 7.0
also I have change all memory and memory boards and got the same error.

Regards
Garry Marsoubian
Occasional Advisor

Trevor, that coinsidence could be a huge deal. I am able to discuss with you and possibly compare notes (if you like).

If you'd like to kdiscuss, you can reach me at my office (301) 838-7214 or call toll free (800) 838-7100, ask for the receptionist and transfer to me (7214).

Thanmks.

Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Gary,
Are you getting any event IDs or error codes?? Please let me know. How about the driver update for array controller etc.??

Regards,
Garry Marsoubian
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Sunil. The array controller is at the latest firmware and drivers for 2003 (7).

No errors are pointing at hardware, although tye blue screen says hardware malfunction.

The only persistant entry I see prior to a crash is a SQL Trace. The last trace started 2 minutes before the crash.

Please keep in mind that other very identical systems have this trace starting and stopping without a crash.