joon yoo
Occasional Contributor

ML570 G2 - smart array 642 - expand volume w/ new drives

Hi,

We're running out of HD space on our server:

ML570 G2
Windows 2000 Server
smart array 642

If 2 new drives are added to the 2nd array controller, is there an easy way to get the volume on the first 4 drives to expand over the new drives?

Thanks for any help,

joon
5 REPLIES 5
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: ML570 G2 - smart array 642 - expand volume w/ new drives

Hello Joon,

I dont think you can Expand array & extend the drive from one controller to the other.(if I have understood the Question right).

2 controllers will have different sets of array. They cannot be clubbed.

(Has anyone else tried this ?)

Cheers !
James.
Joe Fiffick

This is the method that I have used numerous times with my customers that were running out of disk space:

1. I replaced each drive in the array with a larger drive. They must be replaced 1 at a time and you have to let the array rebuild itself after each drive replacement.

2. After all of the drives are replaced with larger drives and the array is done rebuilding, use the hp array utility to expand the array to the larger size.

3. Then use a server partitioning software to resize the volumes to the desired size.

Couple of issues that I have run into with array controllers:

Some of the earlier raid controllers dont allow you to expand the array after you added the larger drives. If that is the case then you must replace your controller with a newer one.

When you replace your controller with a newer one, install it in a slot in your server and boot off your old array controller. You should be prompted to load the drivers for the new controller. After the drivers are loaded, then you can down your server, remove your old one, and run your drives off of the newer controller.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Surely that can be done Joe; but coming back to Joon's query, have u tried adding another controller creating array & then expanding it to the original one ?

Please let us know !
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi joon yoo
well it think that's not possible

usually when you expand and extend you take HDDs from the same controller, but having 2 controllers and make the expand and extend no.

in that case if you add a second controller create a new logical drive and use it for data and left the other one (first controller) for the OS.

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
joon yoo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks all, I'll do it the hard way w/ backup and restore.

joon