1753819 Members
9662 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

ML570 G3 Disk Transfer Rates

GodfreyOuwens
Occasional Collector

ML570 G3 Disk Transfer Rates

I acquired a ML570 G3 Server. Installed Server 2008. It has 10 hard drives ( all compaq 76GB scsi drives )

My problem is that some of the drives only transfer ( read/write ) at 2MB/sec or less.

The first 2 hard drives ( 0,1 ) transfer at 80 MB/sec but the other 8 only do 2MB/sec

I am not sure if its a bus issue, or a controller issue.. or what I need to do to resolve this..

The controller is: LSI Adapter Ultra320 SCSI 2000 Series ( onboard )

Thanks for your help! and if more information is needed, please let me know ! :)

edit** Also, there is no raid setup, each drive is independant. also, I erased, reformatted drive 6 so its not a fragment issue or a problem with it being too full, but it still only writes at 2MB/sec

If I copy files from disk 0 to disk 1, I get 80MB/sec .. the problem is when i am reading or writing from disk 2 and up...

3 REPLIES 3
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Re: ML570 G3 Disk Transfer Rates

What spec are the disks?

There are no such thing as 76GB disks, I presume you mean 72.8GB, but what type of SCSI are they? Ultra3 or U320?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
GodfreyOuwens
Occasional Collector

yeah sorry about that they are all Wide Ultra320 72.8 15k ...

I am finding out that any disk I put in channel 1 has this problem .. I went thru one at a time and put all ten drives on channel 2 and they all run fine..

i then went and put each one, one at a time, in channel 1 ... and they all ended up getting set to narrow..

I am not sure if it is the cable or the scsi backplane ( unfortunately channel 2 cable is way too short to reach to channel 1 )

I know I am running Server 2008 which really isnt supported.. but I am seeing this problem at boot ( them being set to narrow )

I am also ( sometimes ) getting the battery low or not charging on the 6400 array thats in slot 9 .. I thought this was only for the tape back up, but I am not sure...

I am still new to scsi and how things need to be set up, and I am looking into the possibility of it being jumpers for termination or ID ... but with them all working properly in channel 2, I am leaning more toward a bad cable....

sound right?

*edit* duh.. just realized i can test the cable by putting the bad ( longer ) one into channel 2 to see if sets them to narrow.. I will test that, but if you guys have any other suggestions, please let me know ! thanks !! :)

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Ok channel 1 should be the all the disks along the bottom of the box and Channel 2 the 2 disks on the top right hand side.

I would first check all the cables to make sure there are no bent pins on both ends.

Then reseat the 6400 controller, this is probably what the cables will be connected to. 6400 controllers dont support attaching tape drives.

If you still have the problem then I'd make sure the firmware of the 6400, all the disks and the main BIOS of the server are upto date (easiest way to do this is to download / burn a Firmware Maintenance CD/DVD for this server, look on the support page for that model)

If you still have problems after that, I' make sure the 6400 driver is upto date in the OS.

Thanks

Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)