5387 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

ML570 G4 - ESXi 5.1 - HP Management Tools

Phil2469
Occasional Visitor

ML570 G4 - ESXi 5.1 - HP Management Tools

Greetings,

we have a test machine ML570 G4 running ESXi 5.1. As a guest operating system we've installed Server 2008R2 SP1. I've tried to install the regular management tools to view the hard drives, processor and so on, but I am not able to see any hardware info in my HP Management Website Tools.

Installing the HP Agents is returning an error '...not able to install on a virtual guest operating system'.

Does anyone have some kind of an idea, how to get the hardware monitoring running on this machine with ESXi 5.1 and Server 2008R2 SP1 as a guest operating system installed? I do not want to manage anything, start or stop VMs whatever. I am only interested in the regular hardware monitoring software that came with the machine (SmartStart DVD).

For any suggestions I would be more than thankful,

thanks kindly,

Phil

3 REPLIES 3
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: ML570 G4 - ESXi 5.1 - HP Management Tools

Hello Phil,

First of all, you have to stop consider virtual machine as real hardware. Virtualization simulates all resources, so VM does not know it runs on HP hardware (or any hardware), so you can not monitor it via common HW monitoring tools provided by HP. You can use any basic monitoing tools to monitor CPU load, RAM load, free disk space.

All hw monitoring is placed inside ESX server, so best idea is to use hp customized image to install ESX, OR install HP support tools into ESXi server via update manager or manually - it depends if you have vCenter server. HP SIM 7.2 fully supports latest ESXi server and you can see all hw staff.

At the end - I have to mention your server is not certified for ESXi5.1, latest ESX version for you is really old 3.5u4, so possibly you can encounter some problems with many things including monitoring. Check certification matrix at:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/vmware/supportmatrix/hpvmware.html

Regards,

Jan

Phil2469
Occasional Visitor

Hi Jan,

you've answered all my questions, MANY thanks!!!

Thanks again,

Phil

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello Phil,

If you are satisfied, assign Kudos to me... :) by cliking star sign.

Jan