5576 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML570 G4 hangs with internal health light flashing red

Sam Moayedi
Occasional Advisor

ML570 G4 hangs with internal health light flashing red

Hello all,
We have a ML570 G4 with Windows 64bit R2 SP1 Oracle 10G, operational since May with no issues but now it just hangs with red internal health light flashing and even monitor connected to system will not show anything and fan noise goes to over drive with loud sound.
I run all Smartstart daig and no failure on the system.
Please help
8 REPLIES 8
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Sam,

Wen this happens, check for any LEDs in the System board. R there any RED LED, specially near the CPU ?

Try re-seating the CPU/Memory/PPM.

Regards,
James.
Sam Moayedi
Occasional Advisor

Thanks James for quick response , I checked the system during the failure and no other LED is red, this morning was so bad that even during loading SmartStart system crashes we removed one of the processors and its PPM but system acts the same way.
It crashes sporadically and no definite pattern
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Sam,

Try booting with MINIMUM memory Configuration; with one CPU/PPM.

Also Remove External Devices + any INTERNAL PCI cards;

Update us on what happens next.

Regards,
James.
Sam Moayedi
Occasional Advisor

Hello James,
We removed all non-essential components such as
Tape drive, NIC and memory and same result.
System hangs big time and have to cold boot
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hey Sam,
At what point does the server hangs ?

For this to be a Hardware Issue, The server should hang before the windows welcome screen.

If you see the windows welcome screen, then It its the OS to be blamed. In this case, try to boot into the Safe mode !

Keep us updated.
Sam Moayedi
Occasional Advisor

Hello James,
It happens everywhere even in safe mode we narrow it down to hardware and send it for repair.
Thanks for your help
David Krall

I was wondering if you could tell me what hardware you ended up getting replaced. We have a similar situation. We have two ProLiant ML570 G4 servers with Windows 2003 R2 SP1 with Oracle 10g. Usually the system hangs during high Hard Drive activity (usually during one or more Oracle Imports), the systems hangs. I am able ping it but that is all I am able to do. I can not log in, I can not hit its HP management page, and I am unable to do anything through Insight Manager. it requires a complete power cycle and more often than not I have to rebuild a database or two. The only apparent pattern is during high activity usually during Oracle Imports. We have run the smart start system test but that shows no hardware problems, we have replaced the HD backplane and the controller cards, and none of it has helped. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
luc tanguay

Similar setup here but W2K3 32-bit. We have two of them. One crashed every time I tried to do iometer tests. Tried with different setups (2 CPU instead of 4, no P800s, no NICs). Finally a HP tech replaced the motherboard. It's been 2 days now... No crash yet. I cross my fingers.

LT