Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML570 Proliant: How do I access it via the serial port

Wireless_1
Advisor

ML570 Proliant: How do I access it via the serial port

I got a display dead Proliant (see post below from yesterday) -->

What is the procedure for accessing it via the serial port.

This is what I have figured out so far - please correct me if I am wrong:

(1) Make a serial cable

(2) Get into the server Bios and enable serial console. This will be like the Chicken and the egg thing. How do I access the bios without a display? May be I can do it blindly with the keyboard - but I dont know the key strokes.

(3) Assuming I get (2) above done, connect the server to another computer by the serial cable, and use Hyperterminal to intiate the server console.

Any help would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ML570 Proliant: How do I access it via the serial port

Have you tried to access the server thru iLO?

Tnks.
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

One simple thing to do.
If you have no video at all, have you tried to shutdown the server and see that the video card is correctly plugged in?

Tnks.-
Wireless_1
Advisor

The G1 server does not have ILO or any other video at the moment. [I tried a second card with the onboard video disabled to no avail. Please see my other thread threadId=1130779].

I am looking for some help specifically to access the server via the Coms port using some sort of VT100 / terminal emulation.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

according to http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00440332/c00440332.pdf

NOTE: On some newer servers, the BIOS Serial Console default will be AUTO instead of disabled. During the boot process, the server will check for the presence of a VT100 compatible client running at 9600 Baud connected to the server and automatically will enable the BIOS Serial Console for that boot if one is found. This eliminates the need to run RBSU with a local keyboard and monitor attached to enable the BIOS Serial Console feature.

so maybe you're lucky and don't have to change bios-setting.

Pieter
Wireless_1
Advisor

I have the original (i.e. G1) proliant - so - not getting any automatic enabling of serial console at start up....

Unless I got the serial cable pins wrong during making it.

I simply made up the cable by chopping the ends of two serial mouses and joining the wires together .. i.e. pin 1 to pin 1 .... pin 9 to pin and so on...

If anyone out there got a G1 ML570 proliant, can you tell me the keyboard sequence to get into bios and update this and save it blindly without a monitor? I wish there was a dip switch to do this.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

you made a "straight" cable, but you need a "cross" cable or "null-modem" cable to connect two serial ports.
you can easily find description of null-modem cable's so i don't attach this here.
also a serial mouse doesn't use the serial port for normal serial communications. but if all pins are present in the connector you can use these for this purpose safely.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

For a null modem cable, you'd normally need

2 -- 3
3 -- 2
5 -- 5

However, I'm not sure if the ML570 G1 has got a serial console feature.

There is no Rom Based Setup Utility (RBSU aka BIOS) on that server. To get into the setup you either need to boot off a SmartStart CD (5.50 or earlier) or hit a key (F10 I think) during startup up to get into the System Partition - assuming it's been installed.

Cheers,

Rob