4714 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML570 Server

Rick7
Occasional Advisor

ML570 Server

Hello. My name is Rick.

I recently recieved a server from a friend of mine.

This is a Compaq Proliant ML570. It has 4 scsi 10000 rpm 18.x gig drives. It has one ide cdrom and one 12/24 gb tape drive. It also has a one floppy drive. I have added a scsi cdrom drive. edit: oops. It is a G1 machine. 2/4 Pentium iii Xeon and 1 GB of ram.

I can get it to install RedHat 8.0 but it will not boot.

I believe the two sets of two scsi drives are not seen during boot because a driver is not loaded so they can be seen.

I guess I need a boot drive.

What kind of configuration did this machine have and where can I get SmartStart 5.5?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Rick7
Occasional Advisor

I hope it is okay to reply to my own post.

When I got the machine it would not boot. The Interlock would stop with a Processor 3 code.

I bypassed the interlock and turned on the video also and got a Logo Screen. Then I was able to get an IDE DVD Rom to boot a cd/dvd. I wish it had a usb/pci card for my mouse. My friend has new PS2 mice.

I hope to buy two more 700 MHz Xeons and some more ecc memory to run a newer version of Linux.

Fedora 30 Lab Astronomy gives me an Illegal Opcode.

Rick7
Occasional Advisor

Seek and you shall find.

Why was it difficult to find this link earlier.

This is the link to Smart Start 5.5 and others.

http://cwcyrix.duckdns.org/ftp-archives/ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/supportsoftware/ZIP/

edit: Also.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?68640-Compaq-Proliant-1600-Need-SmartStart-5-5-CD(s)

Rick7
Occasional Advisor

I guess I am at a stand still. Downloaded the 5.5 CD and it will not boot. I used a DVD-R and a DVD+R.

Tommorrow or later I will get some actual CD's.

Installed RedHat 8.0 a few more times and no boot.

Sanilk
HPE Pro

Hi ,

I understand that you are trying to install RHEL 8.0 on a Proliant ML570 Server .

Please be informed that  ML570 G1 server is an archived product and it is not showing in as a supported 

Kindly refer the following HPE Servers Support & Certification Matrices link ;

http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/sa/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/redhat_linux.aspx#.XPE3gYgzZPY

Regards,

Sanil

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Rick7
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

It is not RHEL as far as I know. It was in a Red Hat Unleashed book.

I am not for sure what the lowest version of SmartStart I can use.

As far as support is concerned, I am okay with it being a legacy device.

Since it does not have any support I guess I can call it quits here and look to finish it up on my own.

Do I need to label this as Solved?

Rick7
Occasional Advisor

I finally found a Smartstart 5.50 cd on hpe.com. it boots but has the error 76.

I think I need the Erase Software.

I guess a blog would be more ideal than a forum.

Thanks.

edit: 

I found out that there is some Diagnostic Software on the cd.

Rick7
Occasional Advisor

How does someone access the System Configuration Utility when the cd does not boot?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Rick7 wrote:

How does someone access the System Configuration Utility when the cd does not boot?

If I recall, the only way to access the utiltiy was either from the system partition (if one was created) or by booting the CD. Those systems pre-date support for booting from a USB key.  That system was retired from production in late 2003.

there were a couple of differernt controller drivers depening on what controller was in the server.

THere was a Red Hat 8.0  this was not an Enterprise version, that naming wasn't really used then.  There was also a Red Hat Advance Server version which was v 2.1 during this servers time  The older drivers are still available 

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/product/247627/hpe-proliant-ml570-server?ismnp=0&l5oid=327425#t=DriversandSoftware&sort=relevancy&layout=table&numberOfResults=100

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!