6606 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML570 - Simplex/Duplex setup

Ron McPherson
Occasional Contributor

ML570 - Simplex/Duplex setup

HI,
Got an ML570 rack mount - not G2 model. Drive cage A has 2 x 9gb's mirrored, controlled by Internal Smart Array controller (this is drive E). Cage A has 4 spare slots. Drive cage B has 2 x 9gb's mirrored ( drives C & G) & 4 x 18gb's RAID 5 (drive D), all controlled by 5300 controller. I want to expand drive D by adding 2 x 18gb disks, but only spare slots are in cage A. How can I get the new drives in cage A to form part of the array in cage B? At the moment, the additional drives are only recognised by the interal Smart Array controller. Want them to hang from the 5300. Is this something to do with Simplex / Duplex configuration? Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Re: ML570 - Simplex/Duplex setup

If you use a dual channel Smart Array controller then drives on both channels can be part of the same logical drive.

If you use two different RAID controllers then this is not possible.
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

hi ron

there is a SIMPLE solution. smart controllers support array movement. just move the 2 mirrored disks from cage B to A.
gives you 2 free slots.
-------------------------------------------

the server must be powered OFF when the disks are moved.

------------------------------------------

once you power on your system your smart 5i will report: new array detected, configuration automatically updated.
thats it - simple and straight forward
smart controllers are GREAT
-------------------------------------------
but you cannot span a logical drive across two controllers (each controller can handle only its own drives)

-----------------------------------------
best regards
ernesto

ps: make sure you have a backup - you will not need it, but mr. murphy ....

ps: i do this exercise all the time in my proliant server trainings (never had any problems)

Ron McPherson
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ernesto,
Thanks for your information. That was something I didn't know. My server has the embedded Smart Array controller running cage A & cage B is controlled by the 5302. The 5302 is set as the boot controller. If I take you advice & move the 2 mirrored disks from cage B to A, will the embedded Smart array controller support array movement? If it does assume I would then only have to set the embedded controller as the boot controller?
Thanks.