ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753456 Members
5542 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML570 won't Power Up - Amber Power LED flashing (on front panel).

Mark Harrison_8

ML570 won't Power Up - Amber Power LED flashing (on front panel).

I have inherited an ML570 pedestel server, previously used at a different site.
The server has 3 removeable power supply units, all powered and with green LED's flashing (on standby).
On the front panel LED's the Power LED (closest to the power button) is Amber and flashing.
Pressing the Power button has no effect whatsover. Nothing starts up, no fans disks etc let alone BIOS/POST.
User manuals suggest this LED indicates Tempoary shutdown (15 secs) due to a thermal event. Conditions in our lab area are good, and there seems to be no overide.

Can anyone please offer any advice on what I can check or reset in order to power on the server?
Thanks in anticipation.
6 REPLIES 6
Seth Parker
Trusted Contributor

Since the power supplies all look good, why don't you just unplug all of them for a couple minutes? Also, double-check the fans, even though you didn't mention that the fan problem LED was amber.

Good luck!
Seth
Matt Weinstein

Yes.... please help anyone who has knowledge on this!!! I have a rack server the same, everything is exactly as above.

M
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Pull all power Cords out, press power switch for 10 seconds, reset all power supply, reset I/O cage at the back, and make sure all CPU properly inserted, good point to pull one inch all drives till moment where you can see PROLIANT Screen. Reconnect all power Cables try to Power up, If you have any fiber or RILOE pull them out
Tim Wolfe_2

Yep, I have the same problem. My ML 570 just flashes standby. Everything's swell, it just won't turn on. WTF?

The power button doesn't provide a satisfying click, but I think that's normal.

Here's what I think the problem is, but I'm still looking for the solution: My server was previously in a rack, connected to an Uninteruptible power supply (UPS). Being a "smart" system, the Proliant is now waiting for a signal from the UPS, via 9-pin serial cable that it is OK to power up. Well, that's my theory.

Anyway, I'll try not to swear, but I'm just F'ing livid at all these at all these happy little standby lights, and no indication at all what the problem is.

Anyway, it's now 2:00 am, and this stinky Proliant has already stolen too much of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vwdl
Frequent Advisor

Mark,
Something is wrong on the board.
Is probably not catastrophic.
Check seating of CPU's and memory.
Check internal cooling fans (number and working order) for HDD-cage and drawer.
Regards
Tim Wolfe_2

I got mine running, so given my rant in the previous post, I thought I'd better write an update.

1) I removed the CMOS battery on system board, and tried to power on. Then I replaced the battery. I don't this is what solved the problem.

2) I rechecked every connection for the umpteenth time. I was surprised to find that one of the processor blanks still had some play, even after its flaps were down, and it was screwed in tight. I think this was the issue. The processor blanks are more finicky than the processors, and more finicky than I would have expected.

I hope this saves someone some trouble.

Tim