108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML570G2 and SA6400 controller issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike_761
Occasional Contributor

ML570G2 and SA6400 controller issues

Because the internal cage in the ML570G2 has 12 slots and the external cage has 14 slots, our array configuration precludes that the external cage houses our system disks. I didn't foresee any issues with this as technically I wasn't aware that the ML cared on what channel the system disks were (OS installed). We get the following message on boot of the machine when its initialising the arrays:

"1765 - SLOT1 SA6400 EM Daughterboard is the current boot controller - Array Accelerator will be disabled in this configuration. Consider migrating the boot volume to the SA6400 base controller and setting the SA6400 controller as the primary boot controller."

Does this mean our current configuration is detrimental to the absolute performance of the machine? Is there a bios/cable/rom upgrade/change to sort this? Or do we really have to have the internal cage containing the system disks?

any feedback will very much appreciated
2 REPLIES 2
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Mike,

I assume you have the 4-channel 6404 controller. This is actually 2 array controllers on one card. Channels 1 and 2 are the 6400 and Channels 3 and 4 are the 6400EM (Expansion Module). You should get 2 separate prompts on POST for these controllers. Looks like the prompt wants you to put the disks on Channels 1 and 2 and set the 6400 base module as the boot controller.
According to this advisory:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EX031217_CW01

you cannot put your boot drives on the expansion module.
If it's on channels 1 and/or 2, it shouldn't care if the boot disks are internal or external, as long as you don't connect internal and external devices to the same channel. So if you need disks in the internal cage AND your boot disks in an external box, you're stuck, unless you get another array controller.

Regards,
Stephen
Mike_761
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for help on this.

Mike