7141 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML570G2 memory question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Price_3

ML570G2 memory question

I've just started working at a new firm and am trying to work out how they've configured the memory options on their ML570G2. They have two boards which the survey utility reports as being configured as follows:
Memory Board in Slot 1
Socket 1: DIMM 1024 MB Synchronous. Good
Socket 2: DIMM 1024 MB Synchronous. Good
Socket 3: DIMM 512 MB Synchronous. Good
Socket 4: DIMM 512 MB Synchronous. Good
Socket 5: DIMM 512 MB Synchronous. Good
Socket 6: DIMM 512 MB Synchronous. Good
Socket 7: DIMM 512 MB Synchronous. Good
Socket 8: DIMM 512 MB Synchronous. Good

Memory Board in Slot 2
Socket 1: DIMM 1024 MB Synchronous. Good
Socket 2: DIMM 1024 MB Synchronous. Good
Socket 3: DIMM 512 MB Synchronous. Good
Socket 4: DIMM 512 MB Synchronous. Good
Socket 5: Not Installed
Socket 6: Not Installed
Socket 7: Not Installed
Socket 8: Not Installed

In addition it states the following about the redundancy options:
Advanced Memory Protection Types Available: On-line Spare
Advanced ECC
Single Board Mirroring
Dual Board Mirroring
Advanced Memory Protection Type Active: Advanced ECC

Memory Board in Slot 1: Present, Locked
Board Status: OK
Total Board Memory: 5120 MB
Memory In Use: 5120 MB

Memory Board in Slot 2: Present, Locked
Board Status: OK
Total Board Memory: 3072 MB
Memory In Use: 3072 MB

I've got a couple of questions about this I hope you could help with.
1. Despite the report above showing 8GB Windows is only reporting 3.5. Could one of you please explain why?
2. It seems to me that this is not configured properly. If I wanted to take advantage of the hot plug mirrored memory option how should I configure the DIMMs.
3. How do I activate the mirrored memory option? via the RBSU?

Your help is much appreciated.

Tom
6 REPLIES 6
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Re: ML570G2 memory question

I want to give a reply specific to questions # 1 so I can answer this promptly:

Does the total amount of RAM installed POST correct? That is, does the hardware see the total amount of memory correctly?

Windows 2000 can have issues when memory is 4 GB or more. The "simple" answer is to add the /PAE switch, but this has its own set of potential problems. Assuming all the RAM is seen at the hardware level, take a look at Microsoft's information on PAE. If you want some document recommendations, reply back with what version of Windows (2000 Server, 2000 Advanced Server?)and what Spk is installed (if any). How many processors are installed?
Good manual (only 40+ pages) for ML570 G2 memory is Memory Installation Guide here:

http://h200006.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_279987-003_rev3_us/TPM_279987-003_rev3_us.pdf

Table 1-1 in the first chapter is a good quick reference for the different memory configuration options available. I think it will answer your questions. If not, reply back here.
Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

ML570G2 make something like memory mirror and you can see only half of your memory
Tom Price_3

Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm not going to be able to reboot the server for a couple of weekends so I'll have to get backyo you about that.

I've read the document on the memory configuration but it doesn't really explain the situation here. If I've got 3.5 GB available from the 8GB installed it would seem I'm getting each DIMM in each bank mirroring the other and sockets 7 & 8 acting as an online spare. That would give 1GB (Board 1; Slots 1&2) + 0.5 (B1;3&4) + 0.5 (B1;5&6) + 1 (B2;1&2) + 0.5 (B2;3&4) = 3.5GB

I don't see how the /PAE switch would have any impact unless the OS was reporting 4GB or more.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

"1. Despite the report above showing 8GB Windows is only reporting 3.5. Could one of you please explain why?"
Tom - this statement indicates to me that the hardware is seeing 8 GB but the Windows OS is only seeing 3.5GB. If this is correct the DIMMs are not mirrored. It sounds as if the memory is installed & configured correctly at the hardware level, but it is Windows 2000 seeing only 3.5GB. You will need to find out from Microsoft or Microsoft resources why this is. Or post this issue on the ITRC MICROSOFT - Windows 2000 forum.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Tom:

A little late on this....

You stated:
"I don't see how the /PAE switch would have any impact unless the OS was reporting 4GB or more. "

The /PAE switch is what makes the OS see MORE than 4GB RAM. Without the switch, the OS does NOT report anything more then 4GB... 3.5GB in most cases. See the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283037

2. It seems to me that this is not configured properly. If I wanted to take advantage of the hot plug mirrored memory option how should I configure the DIMMs.

You need to configure your 2 Memory Boards exactly the same to use Hot Plug Mirrored Memory as stated in the doc from the link in Terri's post.

3. How do I activate the mirrored memory option? via the RBSU?

Activation is in the RBSU, probably the easiest way.

In your case, you probably do not want to use the /PAE switch since you want 4GB of Hot Plug Mirrored Memory. Your seeing 8GB's at POST because either... you have not configured for HPMM or you tried and the system said no because your DIMM"s are configured wrong.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Tom Price_3

I've finally had a chance to reboot the server having added the /PAE switch to the boot.ini file. This has resolved my issue and I can see 7.5 GB. I'm guessing the last 512 will not be visible since it tips it over 8GB in the same way I was only seeing 3.5GB rather than 4GB before the reboot.

I'm going to address the problem of the mirrored memory at a later date using the guide.

Thanks for everyone's help