108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML570G3 + LTO drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ditmar Stoop
Occasional Advisor

ML570G3 + LTO drive

I'm trying to install a Ultrium 448 drive (which is a supported option) in a ML570G3, with the plastic retainer guides that come standard with the server. The problem is that the drive fits fine, as long as no cables are attached. When the power and SCSI cable are attached, the drive can't be pushed all the way back, because a part of the chassis that sticks out is in the way.
Is this a design flaw or am I overlooking something?
3 REPLIES 3
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ML570G3 + LTO drive

Ditmar Stoop
Occasional Advisor

Tnx Mahesh,

The culprit turned out to be the power cable. By removing the system board, as described is the document you linked to, I could route the cable such that I could push the tape unit all the way back. But the power cable connector comes in contact with the chassis in such a way that it is slightly tilted and therefor exerts pressure on the connector of the tape unit, which might cause damage to it. HP could easily resolve this by using a shorter power connector. This would also remove the need to remove the system board. Frankly, having to remove such a lot of components, just for installing a LTO drive, is a bit of a pain in the butt IMHO.
At least it works now, so thanks again.
Ditmar Stoop
Occasional Advisor

Well, the story wasn't over yet unfortunately. When trying to insert a tape, the tape unit would "spit it out" and the tape error LED started blinking, so I thought "o joy, a DOA tape unit", but it turned out to work fine when connected outside the server casing.
So, after trying several things I decided as a last resort to move the metal rails of the retainer guides to the lower postition. So instead of the upper screw holes of the tape unit, I used the lower ones to install it. And guess what, now it works fine.
Weird stuff.