Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSA 1000 question

SOLVED
Go to solution

MSA 1000 question

Hi,

Is there a way to configure one volume on MSA and give access to two servers ( One full and one read only) ??. Note that the servers are on SAN

Regards,

3 REPLIES
Doug de Werd
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: MSA 1000 question

You can set up 2 servers that both have access to the same volume - but DON'T DO IT. You will most likely corrupt your data, even if one of them is in read only mode (you cannot configure the MSA1000 for read only - you would have to do it via the OS).

However, there are a couple of ways you could do it. The first would be to set up the volume and assign it only to one server. Then create a file share that the other server can use, which can also be configured via the OS for read onlya ccess. The drawback of this is that the 2nd server is not accessing the MSA1000 directly, it uses the network and goes through the 1st server.

The other way to do it would be to use a 3rd party disk utility such as Polyserve, which will allow you to do this (I don't have much experience with Polyserve, so I can't really help you there).

Thanks,
Doug
Expert in ProLiant Clusters
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

A SAN just provides access to disk blocks - it has no ideas about files.

You would need an operating system that provides some kind of shared filesystem access. Doug has already mentioned that unsynchronized concurrent access (e.g. from Windows) will corrupt the filesystem.

Even if one server would mount the filesystem as readonly (which, as far as I know is not possible with Windows/NTFS) there will be problems, because the readonly server does not know that a change has happened - nobody told him! He would have to constantly poll the filesystem for changes, not a good idea. And what should happen when he has opened a file (readonly) and that gets deleted?

At a previous employer we had such a configuration between 1983 and 1985 using dual-ported disks drives and multi-port disk controllers using the VAX/VMS operating system. One system had the disk mounted without caching and the other had it mounted readonly, but from time to time the reader got confused and we had to remount the disks. What helped us was that VMS uses in-place updates of the filesystem's meta-data, that is no longer granted on todays systems.

Hi All,

Thanks for the quic response.. I think I got the answer for my question.

Regards,