cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MULTI-PROCESSOR HAL

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

MULTI-PROCESSOR HAL

I am planning on adding a second processor to the server. After configuring the BIOS for SMP, I understand that I must install the NT multiprocessor HAL. Where do I get this HAL from? I am running SP6a, but having downloaded the SP off the web, SP file is just a .exe file, no file structure to drill down through. I am under the impression that I will need to boot up from the SSD, and then browse to the SP directory and choose the appropriate HAL. Or will I simply just re-apply the service pack? And is the HAL the only file that needs to be changed. MS KB has a rather lengthy procedure for manually upgrading to a dual processor config.
1 REPLY
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: MULTI-PROCESSOR HAL

The mutiprocessor HAL is on the Microsoft NT CD. But you use the Compaq SSD for NT 4.0 to upgrade and install the multiprocessor HAL. Download the requied NT 4.0 SSD from tis web address.

http://www5.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/download/9192.html

When you run the SSD a list of installed devices will be shown. Click on the processor HAL. Then click on the update button. You will be propted to insert the Microsoft NT 4.0 CD. After the new HAL is installed, reboot the system. The blue boot screen should then show both processors.

NOTE: You must have the processor APIC mode set in the system BIOS to "Full Table Map", for the NT 4.0 OS to detect and use both processors.