1751792 Members
5153 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MULTIPLE GHOST DISKS IN A SERVER

jose_98

MULTIPLE GHOST DISKS IN A SERVER

HI.

I HAVE A COMPAQ PROLIANTE ML370 WITH ONLY A 36.4 ULTRA SCSI 3 DISC, BUT WHEN I START THE SISTEM, IT SHOW ME 8 (EIGHT) DISK FROM 0 TO 7 ON THE SCSI CARD.

I TRIED TO INSTALL WINDOWS 2000 SERVER, AND IT INSTALLS APPARENTELY OK, IN THE FIRST TIME, IT INSTALL SYSTEM FILES, REBOOT FROM THE UNIT C: AND CONTINUE INSTALLING FILES, BUT WHEN IT FINISH, REBOOT, BUT SEND ME THE MESSAGE THAT THERE IS NOT ANY BOOT DISK.

I USE THE SMARTSTAR , AND IT TELL ME THAT THERE IS NOT A BOOTABLE PARTITION, EVEN THE COMPUTER SHOW THE SCSI DISC IN THE SCSI CARD

ALSO, THE SMARTSTART SOMETIME DOSN'T BOOT OK.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, I WILL APPRECIATE VERY MUCH.
6 REPLIES 6
Alicia White
Esteemed Contributor

Re: MULTIPLE GHOST DISKS IN A SERVER

How many available SCSI ids do you have? If an apparently identical device seems to be in each one of the available SCSI IDs, this usually indicates a SCSI ID conflict.

If that's the case, I am surprised you got as far as you did in installing Windows 2000.

To troubleshoot: check cabling & SCSI IDs.

Alicia
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

hi

ghost disks have multiple causes:

1) bad cable (or bent pin)

2) wrong or missing termination

3) wrong ID setting

4) bad backplane board

5) bad disk

------------------------------------------

in your case (2) and (3) cannot be the reason because the backplane board is pre-terminated and scsi IDs are bay dependant.

first check the cable (visual inspection - if you see nothing then replace nevertheless)

and now it is a 50-50 guess

best regards
ernesto

ps: try this first: shut down, remove and reinsert the disk, reboot
Oscar Gil
Advisor

I have this same problem on my desktop at home.
HP SCSI HBA and only one HDD 18GB from HP, in my case there are thirteen ghost disks. Fortunately it is not my system disk, I only use it for data.
Did you find the problem in your case?, I will check this weekend if any of the cases proposed by ernst are true for me, and tell your the results.
George_141
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jose,

I have seen this type of problems.
Mostly this type of problem occurs when scsi connector pin get touched with other pins, or pin get bend. Whenever there is a mishandling while connecting scsi cable in the scsi connectors, this problem occurs.
It also happens when there is a termination problem.
It also happen when the hard disk is not properly connected in hard disk cage slot. May be problem with particular cage slot.
You may check the hard disk by installing in the diffrent cage slot. If it detects the single hard disk and works fine.
Then you need change the scsi backplane, which mostly came along with scsi cage.

Regards,
George

Oscar Gil
Advisor

In my case neither of the proposed causes applied.

Even switching the drive to SE only resolved the situation for some days. The problem came back!!!
Ardie Nazrie
Occasional Advisor

I have encountered same problem before.Try to switch the SCSI hard disk to other slots.It works for me.