3644 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Macs causing Server crash...

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Macs causing Server crash...

Hi,

We have a very frustrating problem with our Compaq Proliant 1600 Server (300mhz, 384mb Ram) We have a Compaq Smart Array Controller Dual Channel, one internal array 3x4.3gb diskss and one external array attached via a Compaq Proliant Storage System UE tower with 5x18.2gb disks.

The problem we have narrowed down to our Macintosh users who are using TCP/IP and loging on via a user account to gain access to the Mac File Area volume created by installing the Mac File Sharing services.
What normally happens is that when one of the Mac's are rebooted and then try to reconnect to the server they hang and the server crashes, this happens to all 3 Macs we use 2 G4s and 1 PowerMac all running OS 9.x.
Also sometimes it just crashes randomly when the Mac's are idle normally after a session timout has been generated on the server with Event ID 12053 anytime betwen 40minutes to 2 hours.

The server then generates 1 of the following 2 bugchecks.

Event ID:1001
0x0000000a (0x0880fbac, 0x000000ff, 0x00000000, 0x8001485e)

Event ID: 1001
0x00000024 (0x009190201, 0xf1dfd888, 0xf1dfd6c4, 0x801108ed)

There is an technet article that refers to this on http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q219027
But that suggests applying SP5 or higher, we re-applied Sp6a earlier in the week and it still happens.

We have clean installed the server from scratch and the problem also still persists so I am thinking that it is something to do with the array card and the external tower + with mac file sharing.
Possibly the compaq drivers.

We know its not the server or hardware as we had a loan compaq Proliant server (much newer) but using the same model Smart Array Card and attached to the external tower did the same thing.

I also know its not the Macs or how they have been setup as I have a 2nd site with an identical 1600 server but with a slower CPU (266) but it has the standard single channel array card and NO external UE tower and that has never crashed once with 10+ Mac users. Although they dont use the Mac Volume as much.

Has anyone got any ideas or come across this before?

Best regards
John
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Here is also a link that can be of some interest to you :

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/435/10/7.html

Pierre
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

My first post was lost...

Mac File system is using a lot of paged memory.

Try :

1- Changing your page file to another less frequented volume
2- Add RAM to the server
3- Split your MAC users accounts and put some on another server.

Regards,

Pierre