108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Madness trying to expand a SA-6402 array

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kenny Anderson
Advisor

Madness trying to expand a SA-6402 array

Compaq array controllers used to be the best in the world. After this weekend's experiences, I'm not so sure this is the case any more.

I have two NetWare 6.5 servers, both DL380G3's with Smart Array 6402 controllers, both with 3 x 72Gb drives and both needing more space. So I've added an extra 72Gb drive to each, and now need to expand the arrays.

Let the fun commence:

1) CPQONLIN.NLM doesn't support any "6th generation" controller. Why not? You tell me, HPaq sure won't. "Online" expansion/migration - one of the major selling points of Smart Array controllers a few years back - is no longer an option. Mail HPaq support, they say to use the RBSU. Great, let's arrange some downtime ..

2) Reboot into RBSU - ah, it doesn't allow you to expand an array, only to create/delete one. Where's that SmartStart CD?

3) Reboot with SmartStart 7.0 (mounted via the iLo), click on ACU. Few seconds later, the error:

"Connection refused on 127.0.0.1:2301"

... followed by nothing.

So I'm left with a system that's got an extra drive that I can't use. And this is progress? A 5-year-old SA-2DH can be expanded, but a 5-week-old SA-6402 can't?

8 REPLIES 8
e4services
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Madness trying to expand a SA-6402 array

You bring up an interesting point, so I looked into it. Seems the SA-6402, Smart Array 6400 series, under Netware, you can only expand your array Offline with ACU.
Here is what I found:
A. Could not find the Manual for the 6402 any longer on HP support. Actually no documents were listed.
B. They list, on the product data sheet, System Support for Novell NetWare 5.x and Novell NetWare 6 OS.
C. The 5300 controller manual I have shows configuration support is listed as ACU, ACU 6.0 (browsers based), CPQONLIN and ORCA(ROM based) for Netware, but both ACU software's only support offline configuration and OCRA does not support array expansion.
D. I did find that CPQONLIN in not listed as configuration software for the 6400 series. ACU and ORCA were the only ones listed.

Conclusion: The HP- Compaq merger strikes again and upgrading this tool was left behind. Therefore online array expansion is NOT supported under Netware any longer or at least for the 6400 and now.

Can you tell who the original manufacturer is of the 6402? LSI-logic or Adaptec? Should be something in the board or chip to give you an idea. May be the OEM has a utility without HP's logo on it.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
e4services
Honored Contributor

As for the "Connection refused on 127.0.0.1:2301", I know that IP is used to address the board when remote access is disabled. THe ACU users manual says: If remote access is enabled enter http://servername:2301 where servername is the name or IP address of the host.or if not enabled enter https://127.0.0.1:2381 to open the System Management page.

SO the question is did something change by running RBSU. So I found this note: "configure the server using either RBSU or SCU." then I found "If you update the firmware in a used system that was not configured using RBSU, you must use SCU immediately after to update the system partition" "Locate the page on HP weste www.hp.com/support that contains SCU to create 4 diskettes. Once finished you need to run ORCA to confirm controller order has not changed."
Don't know if this will help but it is all I can find
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Kenny Anderson
Advisor

Thanks for replying.

I'm sure it's there's a big fat IBM chip on the 6402 board, so that's probably the controller. I can't tell for definite, however: the server's onsite 100 miles away.

I'm _really_ hacked off with the lack of CPQONLIN.NLM support. I've been using it for 6 years; a quick and simple tool that got the job done and means I could expand arrays with no downtime, as well as monitoring the array without having to use the web-based stuff.

I could live without it though, if RBSU allowed me to expand the array. And I could (just about) tolerate having to use SmartStart, if SmartStart actually worked in this case.

I recognised the port number from the Windows equivalent; one I'm in SmartStart, though, there's no option to try 127.0.0.1:2381, or anything else - I get the error, I click OK, and then it sits at a white screen until I reboot.

The only thing I can think of is it's something to do with SmartSmart being mounted via the iLo - i.e. the SmartStart CD isn't physically in the server in question. Maybe it tries to contact the ACU utility before it's had a chance to load?
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Today I was told that the Proliant support pack for Netware installs ACU-XE which can be accessed via browser through the web management agent menu.
Kenny Anderson
Advisor

Interesting. If it does install ACU-XE, it's not available from the standard web interface on port 2301.

I've got an open call with HP support on this, and it's been escalated after similar reports of problems from other users. I'll report back here with any updates.
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Hmmm... the ACU-XE web site doesn't mention Netware as supported OS.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/software-management/acumatrix/index.html

I'll verify that tomorrow.
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Today I did a test installation of Netware 6.5 using SmartStart 7 on a DL380G3.

Sorry - no ACU-XE.
Cameron Todd
Regular Advisor

I have a new NetWare Open Enterprise Server (which is NW6.5SP3 by the look of it) and running CPQONLIN at the system console brings up V2.76. (Is this the latest?)
I can access my SmartArray 6i (onboard) and my MSA1000 (via fibrechannel).

There are some quirks though. I had two 6 spindle arrays (700GB each) which I set to expand over another 3 disks each and although the MSA says this all expanded successfully (took about 2 days) the capacity of both arrays is still listed as 700GB in both CPQONLIN and via all client access to the mounted volumes. !?!

Also, one of the arrays lost its volume completely when I assigned another spindle as a spare. ?!?!

Is this a known bug? Is this the latest version? Have your previous problems with CPQONLIN been resolved or circumvented?