ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748200 Members
3852 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Major problem with RAID on ProLiant ML150G6..Server crashing, backups failing

badboyhouse
Occasional Advisor

Major problem with RAID on ProLiant ML150G6..Server crashing, backups failing

Hi all.

I've got a new client who has an HP ProLiant ML150G6 server running SBS 2008.

They've been having some RAID and Backup related issues.

I've not experienced RAID issues before on HP servers so any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

On Tuesday and Wednesday night this week their server crashed (I believe during the daily Windows Server Backup routine).

After rebooting the server further to Tuesday night's crash, the RAID details on first boot gave the following details:

B110i Sata Raid Controller

1786 -slot 0 - Drive Array Recovery Needed

The following disk drives need automatic data recovery rebuild.  Port 1i - box 1 - bay 1

Select F1 for recovery of data to drives

Select F2 to continue without recovery of data to drives.

I selected F1 and the server booted back up fine.  It was ok until the following night.

After rebooting the server further to Wednesday night's crash, the RAID details on first boot gave the following details:

HP Smart Array B110i  SATA Controller (v1.10) 1 Logical Drives

1779 - Slot 0 Drive Array - Replacement Drive(s) detected or previously failed drive(s) now appear to be operational.

Port 1i - Box 1 - Bay 1

Port 2i - Box 1 - Bay 2

Logical drive(s) disabled due to possible data loss.

Press F1 to continue with logical drive(s) disabled

Press F2 to accept data loss and continue

I pressed F2 and the server booted up fine and as normal.

Last night (Thursday) night the server did not crash, however the daily Windows Server Backup failed approximately 80 minutes through the backup.  The error message that was given by the backup program was:

'Failed - Incorrect Function'

The event log provided the following error:

The Backup log reported the following error approximately 80 minutes into the daily backup:

Backup started at '27/09/2012 18:00:11' failed with following error code '2147942401'.

As I've done each day since these problems began, I ran the HP Array Diagnostic Utility and the HP Array Configuration Utility to see if any errors, warnings, or problems were detailed but I could find no problems at all.

Neither utility mentioned any errors - the Array Configuration Utility had no warnings, Array Status ok etc.  There is nothing that I can see in either utility that would indicate any problems.

At this point I'm not sure whether the problem with the daily backup failing is because of a RAID issue or something else entirely. Unfortunately the server is out of warranty.

6 REPLIES 6
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

Re: Major problem with RAID on ProLiant ML150G6..Server crashing, backups failing

hi,

Can You please attach the ACU report here?

Thanks

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
badboyhouse
Occasional Advisor

thanks for replying.  report attached.

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

The drives are clean. The issue can be related to the backup software/device.

Thanks

regards,

badboyhouse
Occasional Advisor

thanks for that.

I was suspecting the same so good to hear.

what areas in the log did you look at to determine no problems?

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

You should look at

Smart Array B110i SATA RAID in slot 0 : Physical Drive 1I:1:1 : Monitor and Performance Parameter Control

predictive errors

hardware errors

read errors

write errors

If you see only zeros, the drive should be fine.

Thanks

regards,

badboyhouse
Occasional Advisor

much appreciated..thanks.