1752661 Members
5781 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Management of the Dl servers

Rimvydas
Frequent Advisor

Management of the Dl servers

I'm trying to manage my DL servers using HP insight management agents. Actually I want to clear various events from agents logs. In order to be able to do such a task I must have snmpv1 community enabled with write access to this community. But our security team doesn't allow me to enable snmp write access because this snmp protocol version is very insecure. I could enable community with write access and allow only localhost to access it BUT then HP SIM will not be able to get the required info from the agents:( So my question would be - is there another more secure way to do what I want? I'm talking about servers with MS Windows. Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: Management of the Dl servers

hi

well new Proliant Support Pack included WBEM which is more secure

you can install that instead of SNMP

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

HPSIM will work with a Read Only SNMP community name and then you use the Read/Write community name for localhost only. So no SNMP Read/Write activity is done over the wire.
Rimvydas
Frequent Advisor

Rob, I now this very well. But I'm talking that snmpv1 is unsecure by nature and I'm not allowed to use it in our environment.

It would be a solution if I could enable read access for the hosts from lan and write access only for localhost but as I know it is not possible to achieve under windows:(
Rimvydas
Frequent Advisor

Karl,

I noticed WBEM option too and I'm trying to explore its possibilities right now. But also I've read that I can gather less information using wbem that using SNMP. Is it true?