ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753784 Members
6869 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

Re: Managing RAID controller with Windows Server Core (2019)

jdixon
Frequent Advisor

Managing RAID controller with Windows Server Core (2019)

I am unable to find a way to manage the raid controller on a DL380 Gen9 running Windows Server 2019 Core. The HP Service Pack (2020/03) installs the Smart Storage Administrator but ssaclient.exe won't launch and since they got rid of the HPE System Management Homepage, I can no longer use that to access it either.

What is the recommendation?

4 REPLIES 4
AmRa
HPE Pro

Hi 

Check by installing latest version of HPE Smart Storage Administrator (HPE SSA) CLI for Windows server 2019.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_9849e3ae326f43f2825d92dce0#tab1

Installation Steps:

If there is an older version of HPE SSA installed on the system, please uninstall

Download the Smart Component to a directory on your hard drive and change to that directory.

The downloaded file is a self-extracting executable with a filename based on the Smart Component Number.

From that drive and directory, run the downloaded file.

When the installation is complete, navigate to Programs/HPE System Tools/HPE Smart Storage Administrator CLI.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

It worked for me in windows 2016 core installed on a Gen9,  you can try this in 2019,

1. Turnoff the firewall if server IP is not pinging.
   netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off
2. Install following services in the server and verify that they are installed and running (hpsmh,WBEM and SSA have to be installed)
  - hpsmh - 7.6.3.3
  - HPE Insight Management WBEM Providers - 10.70.0.0
  - iLO Config Utility - 5.2.0
  - HPE ProLiant Agentless Management Service - 10.80.0.0
  - iLO FIrmware - 2.55(b)
  - SSA 

Note: above mentioned version may be older so use the supported onces for 2019 OS.

Verify application/service status :

SSA service should be Installed and running,
PS C:\program files\Smart Storage Administrator\SSA\bin>

.\ssa.exe -install
.\ssa.exe -start
.\ssaprefs.exe -install
.\ssaprefs.exe -start

(If already installed then it will list the service name install/start also you might get a message as service could not be installed/started)

also you can check all the service running status:
>get-service

3. Open Browser and type https://<server ip:2381>
   Login to System Management Homepage and check under storage section, Smart Storage Administrated should be listed.

-If still not working then reboot the server and check again.
-In case if still does not work then first you update all the firmware and drivers utility from SPP online mode using HP SUM then follow the steps again. 

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

jdixon
Frequent Advisor

The problem is some of those components are not supported on 2019. For example the WBEM providers

Karada
Occasional Visitor

Hello.
I managed to defeat HPE SSA on the Hyper-V server: DL360 Gen10 + Hyper-V Server 2019. It will probably work on the Windows server core too. I installed the system using a "Rapid Setup" - perhaps it matters, since this option adds some HPE components. After installing Hyper-V core, install SSA, then install FOD using the PowerShell command:

Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name ServerCore.AppCompatibility~~~~0.0.1.0

There are also disk management snap-ins, performance monitor and some others.

After these steps, ssaclient.exe is launched and allows you to manage the controller.