cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Shut Down

Matt Webb
Occasional Visitor

Manual Shut Down

What sort of difference is there between doing a "proper" shutdown in Windows 2000 or 2003 compared to just using the Power button? It takes a long time to do a Start->Shutdown as opposed to just pressing the Power button. Under Control Panel->Power Options->Advanced, "When I press the power button on my computer:" is set to "Shut Down." Pressing the Power button causes a quick Windows shutdown routine to appear on the screen and then the server shuts down. When we start it back up, everything appears to be normal. I ask because it seems like it would be quicker to just press the Power button but this is usually considered a no no. Am I hurting anything by going this route? Let me know if I can clarify anything. Thanks, Matt
3 REPLIES
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Manual Shut Down

Matt:

Usually, and in most cases, pressing the power button means you had to just power down the box. In the case of a Proliant server, holding the power button for 5 seconds effectively shuts down the server immediately.

By setting the power button to do a shutdown, you are telling the OS to perform a "graceful" shutdown. There is nothing wrong with doing this as it quickly closes out any open files, writes any data in cache and shuts the server off.

What is conosidered to be a nono is to remove power totally, shutting down the OS "hard". THis can have a detrimental effect on the stability of the OS when it reboots.

I would say that you are in an "ok" position to continue doing as you are, but the "proper" shutdown procedure would still be... Start --> Shutdown or Start --> Turn off Computer... depending on the OS version.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Matt Webb
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Steven. I'm going to take some of this info to my supervisor, so I'd like to get a little more clarification. Do you know why it takes longer to do the "proper" shutdown as opposed to pressing the power button? Also (and this may tie in to the first question) what makes the "proper" shutdown proper? What concerns us most is that we may be skipping something vital if we just press the power button. Thanks again for your help. Matt
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

They both effectively do the same thing. I believe the only difference might be (I am NOT totally sure) is that the Proper shutdown tries to shutdown any running applications first and/or services that might have been started due to you logging in... where as pressing the power button simply tells the OS to do a shutdown, disregarding anything that is running (applications and such) "Clear the cache, close any open files and shutdown now"

The feel that the setting is more for desktops/workstations rather then servers since someone can just come by and press all the buttons and initiate a shutdown of your servers.

My suggestion is to NOT use the setting on servers unless you are sure that someone will not just come by and start pressing buttons randomly.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)