108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Maximum Internal Storage: DL365 G1

SOLVED
Go to solution
epretorious
Regular Advisor

Maximum Internal Storage: DL365 G1

The quickspecs for the DL365 G1 state that the maximum internal storage for the DL365 G1 is "Up to 876GB SAS with optional hard drives" (i.e., 6 x 146GB SAS).

What happens if I install 6 x 300GB SAS HDD's (using the optional Mini-SAS storage cable (P/N 399546-B21)) in a RAID5 configuration?

Eric Pretorious
7 REPLIES 7
TVVJ
HPE Pro

The quickspecs of HP ProLiant DL365 Server shows that the maximum tested configuration of hard drives are six 146 GB SAS drives having upto 876 GB of internal storage, including using the optional bays.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12564_div/12564_div.HTML

This capacity can be achieved if the controller is Smart Array P400i and that the hard drives are 146 GB SAS.

Capacities above 146 GB have not been tested and hence have not been included in the quickspecs. The quickspecs of the HP Smart Array P400/P400i Controller shows that hard drives of higher capacity are supported, including 300GB SAS.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12400_div/12400_div.HTML

Not all hard drive capacities and possible configurations have been tested. Going by the Smart Array P400iтАЩs quickspecs, it should work.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Lincy_Zachariah
Valued Contributor

The DL360 is available in three different models. They are "Performance ", "Base " and "Entry " models.

The Performance model: comes with all six drive bays active (1 to 4 and 5 & 6).
The Base and Entry: models come with four drive bays active (1 to 4). Bay 5 & 6 are not active in "Base" and "Entry"models. To enable Bay 5 and Bay 6 the user must buy the available upgrade option kit(s).

As per product Quick Specs:
Maximum internal Storage is - 876GB SAS with optional hard drives
The above configuration is a HP Tested configuration. You can refer to Quick specs @ http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12564_div/12564_div.HTML.

You will need the optional HP Mini SAS 4i 13.4 inch/0.35 m cable (PN 399546-B21) to support drives 5 and 6.

NOTE: The Smart Array E200i Controller can support a maximum of 4 hard drives.
NOTE: The Smart Array P400i Controller can support a maximum of 6 hard drives. To support drives 5 and 6, the optional HP Mini SAS 4i 13.4 inch/0.35 m cable is required (PN 399546-B21).

epretorious
Regular Advisor

@TVVJ wrote:

The quickspecs of HP ProLiant DL365 Server shows that the maximum tested configuration of hard drives are six 146 GB SAS drives having upto 876 GB of internal storage, including using the optional bays... Capacities above 146 GB have not been tested and hence have not been included in the quickspecs. The quickspecs of the HP Smart Array P400/P400i Controller shows that hard drives of higher capacity are supported, including 300GB SAS... Not all hard drive capacities and possible configurations have been tested. Going by the Smart Array P400iтАЩs quickspecs, it should work.

Thanks, Vijayasarathy. Can I assume that the P400i Quickspecs are more accurate that the DL365 Quickspecs (for this particular question)? How can I test+validate the 6 x 300GB SAS configuration to ensure that the P400i will provide complete functionality and all 1.8TB of storage capacity before moving the units into Production?

Eric Pretorious
TVVJ
HPE Pro
Solution

The quickspecs of HP ProLiant DL365 Server reflect the capabilities of the configurations that were tested on the server at the time of product release. This does not in any makes it less accurate. As stated earlier, not all possible configurations and enhancements have been tested. As such, the quickspecs could be taken as in indication of its capabilities.

The quickspecs of the HP Smart Array P400/P400i Controller shows support for higher capacities of hard drives, but not all have been tested with the server. Hence, it is advisable to install the server with all 300GB hard drives in test environment and then move it to production once proven successful.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

epretorious
Regular Advisor

@TVVJ wrote:

The quickspecs of the HP Smart Array P400/P400i Controller shows support for higher capacities of hard drives, but not all have been tested with the server. Hence, it is advisable to install the server with all 300GB hard drives in test environment and then move it to production once proven successful.

Thanks, Vijayasarathy. How can I test+validate the 6 x 300GB SAS configuration to ensure that the P400i will provide complete functionality and all 1.8TB of storage capacity before moving the units into Production?

Eric Pretorious
shooreg
Frequent Advisor

Since P400/P400i is not withdrawn yet, it must accept any HP hdd which is marked as compatible with it. QuickSpecks for SA P400  say largest compatible SFF drive is: HP 900GB SAS 10K rpm SFF (2.5-inch)  hard drive

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Install 300GB hard drives in the server and power it on. During POST, after the array controller initializes prompt, press the F8 key (or the option displayed) to run the Option ROM Configuration Application (ORCA). Check if the hard drives are detected and the RAID levels configurable displayed. Once the hard drives are detected in the ORCA, configure the RAID level and then restart the server.

During POST the array controller will be initialized along with the logical volume information. Then install the desired operating system.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo