ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum Memory In DL380 / DL580 Servers...

Lee Harris_5
Valued Contributor

Maximum Memory In DL380 / DL580 Servers...

Hi,

We have a number of DL380 and 580 servers which we run a mixture of RHEL2.1 and RHEL3.0 on. My question is related to the maximum addressable memory these servers can handle with the 32bit Xeon Hyperthreading CPUs.

I believe the maximum addressable memory for 32bit architecute is 4GB? Is this correct? Also, does this depend on the number of CPUs? For example can a 2-way 32bit Xeon box address 8GB and so on?

Many Thanks - Lee
7 REPLIES
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Re: Maximum Memory In DL380 / DL580 Servers...

Hi Lee,

What Generation are these servers?

Regards
Amha Kassa
Lee Harris_5
Valued Contributor

Mostly G3s and G4s.
Lee Harris_5
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies. The QuickSpecs show all the options, but I am after a more generic answer...

Basically...if a 32bit CPU can only address 4GB of RAM, then can 2 32bit CPUs address 8GB and so on.

Also, a couple of our servers I checked have the Xeon 3.4GHz chips...are these 32 or 64bit?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

ZX3.4 are 32 bit CPU with 64 bit Extension

http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/configuration/

http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/government/configure/group/ch_os_plat_red_hat_1.html

2.1 appears max 4GB even with 2CPU
3.0 8GB with 2CPU
C. Beerse_1
Regular Advisor

on 32-bit machines, it is 4 GByte by default. With Linux, there is a compile-time option to allow way-more than that for the kernel. For applications (that is, each binary) the maximum still is 2 or 4 GB.

To use more than 4 GByte on a RedHat machine, use the 'bigmem' kernel. If you also need multi processor (and hence 'smp'), there is a 3rd alternate kernel which combines them. I don't recall by head how it is called. btw: this naming scheme is from RH9, I have the impression that RHEL3, with smp also includes bigmem.
make everything as simple as possible, not simpler (A.Einstein??)
Jim Herard
Occasional Visitor

I can confirm that Fedora 8 recognizes only 4Gb on a 1 processor (2.2Ghz) DL580 G2, though 13Gb installed. (Now I need 3 more processors (cheap))