1753816 Members
8648 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Maximum drive storage configuration ML350p G8

6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

Maximum drive storage configuration ML350p G8

I know I'm peppering the forum with questions here  and I want to thank you in advance!

I'd like to stuff my ML350p full of drives because ... well, why not? It has one empty SFF 8-bay cage now. What is the maximum single SFF drive capacity? Is it 1.2 TB?

Is it more practical (i.e. cheaper? easier?) to exchange the SFF 8-bay cage for a LFF 6-bay cage?

For the current time I will try to use a single Western Digital 1 TB SATA drive connected directly to a SATA port on the motherboard. Gotta start somewhere, right?

Boris
5 REPLIES 5
6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

I tried using my 1 TB directly connected to the first on-board SATA port. One BIOS setting I missed was enabling AHCI Support. After enabling that setting, the drive was recognized but it turns out the drive does not support S.M.A.R.T. technology. Windows Installer claimed the drive was failing and simply wouldn't install. I swapped the 1 TB Western Digital drive with a 4 TB Toshiba drive. S.M.A.R.T. technology was detected and installation went smoothly.

I like the idea of using the on-board SATA connectors as a temporary solution. However, I don't like how the 3.5" drive just dangles and rests on top of my optical drive. Is there a special 3.5" -> 5.25" kit available?

After researching the topic of additional storage options a bit this weekend, I think the most reliable way to go is to swap my 8-bay SFF kit with a 6-bay LFF kit. Then I can use larger capacity 3.5" drives. I think the part number for the 6-bay LFF kit is 659485-B21. It contains the bay itself, empty slot covers, and two cables. Is that correct?

I think the 6-bay kit would plug into the same on-board connectors where the current 8-bay SFF kit is currently connected.

What I don't understand is where could the second and third 6-bay LFF kits connect to? Do the second and third kits daisy chain with the first or would I need a separate PCIe card for them?

Assuming that's how it all works then I start with three "small capacity" drives for a boot drive configured as a RAID 5 array.

Am I on the right path here?

Boris
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Good day !!!!

Please follow the below link for your reference.

HP ProLiant ML350e Generation 8 (Gen8) ( Page no-23-26)

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04128164

HPE ProLiant ML350p Gen8 Server Maintenance and Service Guide ( Page no 47-52)

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03251598-13.pdf

Or

https://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03254241-11.pdf

HP ProLiant ML350p Gen8 Server - Removing and Replacing the Mini-SAS Cable

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03389436

I would request you purchase only HPE supported part for HPE server for better performance

Please let me know for further assistance.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

Sanjeev,

I think you may have been in a rush to reply and didn't check your links. You sent me documentation for three different servers and they all relate to removing the SFF cage. What would it take to install a second or third cage? I don't understand where they would plug into. There seems to be only one set of connections on the motherboard. Are the cages daisy chained together, so #3 plugs into #2? Is there extra hardware I need?

Thanks!

Boris
6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

Replying to another of my own threads regarding adding extra drive cages.

The ML350p G8 has two SAS connectors on the motherboard. These two connectors are disconnected from the first drive cage. An expander kit is installed in the case. The original two SAS connections are then used in a daisy configuration.

• Looking at adding two cages, the first SAS connector at the bottom of the mothboard goes to Box 3.
  • From Box 3 we connect to Box 1.
  • From Box 1 we connect to Box 2.
  • From Box 2 we connect back to the second SAS connectorat the bottom of the motherboard.

I found this information starting on sheet 89 of this document :

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03257410

I'm not sure why this information was so complicated for me to find!

Boris
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

This is the correct documents, which is shared by you.

I would suggest you contact the HPE team for onsite assistance to avoid any breakage inside the server. 

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo