6184 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Memory Error Misreport?

CHUCK_29
Occasional Advisor

Memory Error Misreport?

Hello all,

I'm working on a ML350 G3 with Win 2003 Server. The customer has been receiving Event ID: 4241 in the system log and in insight manager "correctable memory threshold reached" for slot #4. The customer had previously switched around memory and still receives the message. So, I came along and swapped the system board. Ahhh...problem solved? LOL...nope! I saw it coming too. So, I'm left to wonder if the errors are simply being misreported and there is some sort of firmware issue or perhaps it's that good ol' Kingston memory? Any pearls of wisdom?

Thanks much
CN
6 REPLIES 6
e4services
Honored Contributor

Well, I would definately try it without the added memory.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
e4services
Honored Contributor

Here is another user receiving the same report:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=732438
Hot Swap Hard Drives
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

Generally all the memory are almost the same but in this case looks like there is some kind of mismatch, as suggested by others you can test without the added memory and they try with them on. The other option would be to remove all the memory and try only with the added memory just to make sure the memory is good, if it works then there is some kind of addresssing issue.

Rgds

HGN
CHUCK_29
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the replies...will be going back out there in a couple days. Will report back the results.
CHUCK_29
Occasional Advisor

Well, didn't receive the correct memory sticks so while I had the server down I tried using two dimms in slot 1 & 2. No errors reported upon reboot. Repeated the same step using memory only in slot 3 & 4 again no errors. Then populated 1&2 again and this time same error received for slot #4. So, thanks for the responses but this one is going to be slow to resolve...will be going out hopefully with the correct modules later this week. Stay tuned!

Thanks again
CN
CHUCK_29
Occasional Advisor

Ok, the big update. I took the Kingston sticks from Slot 3 & 4 and rebooted. Errors did not reappear. Tried again with slots 3 & 4 populated with Kingston but left 1 & 2 open...still no errors.

Then, I received the HP memory. So, I removed all Kingston and tried the two HP sticks. Again, no error. So, I went ahead and populated two slots with Kingston and two with HP and sure enough the error came right back.

I'm at a loss..system board replaced already so what else could it be? I'm having two more HP DIMM's sent out so I will try filling all the slots with HP branded memory...but I'm not too optimistic.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again
CN