cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Problem with DL380 G3

Aaron McSwan
Occasional Visitor

Memory Problem with DL380 G3

I have just install 6GB of memory into my server but under windows SBS-2003 or Standard edition 2003 it only displays 3.5GB. I have checked the error log under the HP management software and found this error,

POST Error: 207-Memory Configuration Warning - DIMM In DIMM Socket 1A. does not have Primary Width of 4 and only supports standard ECC.

i am running 6 x Corsair CM72SD1024RLP-2100 1GB memory modules.

does anybody know of this problem or maybe know of a fix would be much appreciated.
5 REPLIES
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Re: Memory Problem with DL380 G3

I think you have 2 issues.
First:
Windows standart did not see more than 4GB of memory. For missed 512MB look into advisory.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=PSD_EL041214_CW01
This advisory is for G4 servers but with some PCI cards you can encouter such a problem in older servers.
Second:
As I found CM72SD1024RLP-2100 is not AdvancedECC memory, as required by HP.
Miika T
Valued Contributor

Windows server 2003 standard only supports maximum of 4Gb ram, and even then it's recognized as 3,2-3,9Gb. You need to use Enterprise version to utilize more ram.

-Miika
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Miika, W2K3 standart now supports /PAE switch.
If server supports memory remapping (as I remember, G3 does not), /PAE switch give to windows all 4GB.
Miika T
Valued Contributor

Basil, you are right about /PAE with std w2k3, but you won't be able to get >4Gb:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEdrv.mspx

-Miika
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Miika, yes, we cannot get more than 4 GB with Windows standart, but with /PAE we can give back "missed" part of 4GB to OS. But this avaliable only on systems, that support memory remapping.