1748181 Members
3873 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Memory Upgrade in HP Proliant DL380 G3

Tim WirtzIQ
Occasional Advisor

Memory Upgrade in HP Proliant DL380 G3

I have a HP Proliant DL380 G3 server that came with 2 sticks of 512 MB memory. I purchased 2 2GB sticks and the system recognized all the memory. We were seeing some performance issues so I tried uninstalling the 2 512 MB sticks and running on the 2GB sticks. The system recognizes the memory but never boots to the operating system

If I put the 512 sticks in by themselves the system boots fine.

I there a way to get the system to work properly with these 2 GB sticks? They are PC2100 ECC
3 REPLIES 3
Pavel Bradut Boghita
Frequent Advisor

Hi there I had a similar issue with a dl380g4. I kept changing various parts on the server, until it came down to resetting the NVRAM, which fixed it.
Jake Mason
Advisor

Are both sets of memory dual rank or single rank? Perhaps that is the issue. I have also ran into issues with DL380 G3s where they won't take more than 4 sticks of dual rank memory. Also, I would suggest installing the 2Gb sticks in the first 2 slots. How about the Cas Latentcy? Are both sets of DIMMs the same?
Jake Mason
Advisor

You could also try installing the working 512 sticks and updating the firmware (I believe 8.7 is the latest version those boxes take) and/or BIOS on the system board. Then pop in all of the memory and see what happens. If you are still running into issues, you could also put the working 512 sticks in again and clearing logs through iLO or Smart Start.