1753482 Members
4302 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Memory Upgrade

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Memory Upgrade

I have a 1600r which has been running as a web server from purchase on 2x 128 mb dimms (slots 0 and 1).
We have purchased 2x 256 mb dimms to upgrade to 768mb (part code 313616-B21) These two dimms are in slots 2 and 3.

On boot the bios picks up 768mb and NT displays 768mb on the blue screen loading the kernel. The error message then appears :
'NMI Parity check, memory parity error'
If we then just have one of the 256 mb chips in the system does not boot at all. This is the same with all the chips we have tried (we had four to try)
Any ideas on this? Are there any settings to change in the BIOS?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
5 REPLIES 5
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Memory Upgrade

What is the assembly part number on the memory modules ?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The ones I have introduced are part number 313616-B21 on the box, on the chips themselves the code is 306432-001.
I have left the host facility now so I cannot give you the details of the 128 mb in place. I believe they were shipped with the original server.
Hope this is of use.
Jonathan
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Any chance of a reply to this please?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The part number is correct for this system... however, this does not mean that the memory is good (should be but...). The BIOS would automatically handle the memory is all was well. One thing to check, clean the contacts on the slots and memory modules. If there is some type of buildup on them, that could cause this issue.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have the exact same problem on my 1600 what did you do to correct the problem??? any help would be appreciated