1753846 Members
7696 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Memory over 16 Mb is not detected under Linux

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Memory over 16 Mb is not detected under Linux

I've got a ProSignia 300, P5/90, 16 Mb RAM onboard,2 PCI and 4 EISA slots. System configuration utility and Windows 98 can see the extra RAM I installed, but Linux doesn't. I tried several Linux distributions, with the same results (RedHat 6.0, 6.2, Slackware 7, with the kernels 2.2.5, 2.2.14, 2.2.16).Win98 sees all 64 Mb RAM, but Linux only the 16 Mb onboard. Please help.
5 REPLIES 5
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

simply tell linux the amount of installed memory. if you are using lilo add append="mem=64M" to lilo.conf.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Saying mem=64M don't work, because then error "unable to mount boot" appears. It woks only with kernels 2.2, not 2.4.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have the same problem!! you mentioned kernel 2.2 works where can you get this from?? i have seen one for the prolinia but not the prosignia??
Thanks
Brett
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I used RedHat 6.2 booting from first diskette, sayng "text mem=64M" to LILO. It worked fine, whole memory was detected and used. RH 6.2 uses kernel 2.2.18. When I tried RedHat 7.1, which uses 2.4.2, typing "text mem=64M" to LILO prompt, kernel was "unable to mount root". Unfortunately, anaconda from RH 7.2 do not allow to install linux with only 16MB RAM. The machine was Prosignia 300.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Forgive my questions however im very green to linux..
I can boot from a dos cdrom boot disk and run the autoboot.bat file is there no way that i can edit that file to parse the mem=32m to that file or edit that file??
Second option is to copy the whole contents of the cds to the dos partition on the hdd however im unsure how to set the mount point for the dos partition.
Thanks
Brett