1752592 Members
3931 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Memory problem

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Memory problem

During the boot process, the system checks all 256MB of available RAM and doesn't give any errors. When Redhat Linux 6.1 is started, it only sees 16MB.

Do I need to use a tool to make use of all memory, or is it just a defective memory-module, which isn't shown at boottime?
10 REPLIES 10
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Memory problem

At the kilo boot: prompt add em=, e.g. linux em=256M

Once this is working and linux sees all your memory edit your /etc/lilo.conf file and add append="em=" rerun kilo and reboot.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Okay the spell check seems to have eaten some letters it should be

mem=
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks, it does the job!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thank you DHarkness
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I'm am having the same problem I type linux mem=128m But I still get you do not have enough memory to run red hat. Help!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

"I'm am having the same problem I type linux mem=128m But I still get you do not have enough memory to run red hat. Help!" You might try 128M (upper case M), what error is it reporting? If the kernel hangs like 2 secs after boot, during the memory check and it shows 0k of memory it because the kernel is seeing 128m as 128 bytes. Hope this helps. Derek
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I also have a similar prob, I tried to pass the mem param into the kernel as it can only see 14Mb RAM !. This then causes a kernel panic as it then wants a root param pointing it at the / fs. I have also swapped dimm modules etc. I have also searched the red hat site etc. can you offer any pointers , thanks
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Use this command, I got this from redhat themselves "linux mem=exactmap mem=128M@0" besure to put a capital M
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks that seems to work, I searched all through the red hat site & found minimal docs on this subject, perhaps they are trying to create a support market ? I owe you a pint if we ever meet !