1753797 Members
7524 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Memory upgrade fails ML110 G6

Irvingdevries

Memory upgrade fails ML110 G6

Hello

I tried to upgrade my memory on my HP Proliant ML110 G6. I bought 2x Kingston KVR1333D3E9S/8G 10600E CL9 ECC Unbuffered Unregistered. 
No matter what I do the server won’t start with these two memory modules. I get a blue screen or it does not start at all.

BIOS version is up to date according to the HP site.

Does anybody have an idea what to do.

It would really help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings

1 REPLY 1
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Re: Memory upgrade fails ML110 G6

If it starts up at all then it's probably recognizing the memory okay. The fact that it blue screens later sounds like the memory is bad or not fully seated or something.

The specs on the memory seem okay, but that's Kingston's "ValueRAM" line which isn't exactly top quality. I've probably used their ValueRAM in some desktops but I don't think I'd try it on a server.

I guess I'd try just one module at a time and see if it works okay, then try the other by itself. Maybe just one is bad. Find a good memory testing program and give it a good stress test.

I've had genuine HP memory that was bad, right out of the box, so it can happen even with their own stuff... my track record with 3rd party memory like Axiom, Kingston, etc. is even worse, like I might get one bad module out of 50. If I'm putting together a system on a budget and using off brand modules, I'm going to stress test as much as possible and immediately exchange any modules that show problems.