1753964 Members
7407 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Migrate DL380 G3 cluster to DL580.

Shane Delmore
Occasional Contributor

Migrate DL380 G3 cluster to DL580.

I have a DL380 G3 cluster using an MSA500 shared storage array. Each DL380 is running a pair of 18GB hard drives mirrored on a Smart Array 5i embedded controller.

I've had good luck in years past migrating servers by taking one hard drive from the mirror in the old server (in this case a 380) and moving it to the new server and then rebuilding the mirror, updating drivers, and adding the new server back to the cluster.

It's worked well for me before and saved a considerable amount of time vs the alternative of setting up the server from scratch and adding it to the cluster. I have been out of the server admin game for a few years, has anything changed recently that would make this a bad idea? Anything I need to look out for?

I'm running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise and Sql Server 2005 Standard and am happy to provide any other information that would be helpful. This cluster has been rock solid for the past two years and I would prefer to be able to just upgrade the hardware and keep the existing server configuration that has proven so reliable if I can do it.
2 REPLIES 2
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Hello Shane,

Afaik, the DL580 would use a 5300 series smart array controller. If its the case,

https://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1065035

SRH
Shane Delmore
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the link. Turns out my DL580 also has a 5i controller so I just through the hard drive in and it booted and asked for me to re-activate windows.

Exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks.